Grant vortex combi boiler flow switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Im hoping cause the boiler is fairly popular someone might recognise this issue.
Recently discovered the flow switch on our grant Vortex combi boiler was stuck on and therefore not allowing the central heating to run, it cuts off the central heating pump if hot water is needed.
Easy enough to remove the switch and I gave it a clean and a wiggle on/off to check it works. It does.
So I reinserted It, tightened it up and it worked fine for a while but last night it happened again - flow light staying on when no taps opened so heating not coming on. I removed it once more to check and I have noticed that just inside where the flow switch paddle sits there is quite a lot of scale, this could potentially be catchingthe paddle - can I tip a bit of descale in that part of the pipe and see if that helps?
Thanks in advance for advice.

Sponsored Links
Certainly try some descale and gently scrape off what you can.
Flow switches can go faulty we tend to change if any doubt.
Occasionally you have to trim/file paddle to make it to clear.
You really should address hard water issues if flow switch scaling up you plate to plate can't be far behind.

Here in Jersey the water is fairly hard, so I'm not surprised there's is some scale. The boiler gets regularly serviced though. I'll try the descale and give it a clean out and was planning buying a new flow switch just in case, they're only £45 on amazon.

There are 2 flow switches make sure you have right one! down to age of boiler.
We look after quite a few oil combi's the ones with a proper ion exchange water softener on are noticeably less problematic.

Sponsored Links
2?
I didn't see the other, but the one on the top at the mains intake is the one causing the problem

gotcha! I've double checked and hopefully ordering the right one.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back