Gravity fed shower question.......help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

If you have a gravity fed heating system, i was led believe the best way to pipe a mixer shower was to......take hot feed from as close to hot cylinder as possible and the cold on new seperate feed from the header tank. Can you please let me know if it would be ok to take the hot feed to the shower directly off the hot water vent pipe in the loft and then drop it down to the shower? or would i have to pipe another feed up to the loft from the cylinder?

My next query,

On a gravity fed heating system, if you take hot gravity feed for shower from bath, and the cold feed (mains presssure in this case) from bath how would the shower be, if of mixer type, none thermostatic?

Also, would the situation be different if the shower was thermostatic, ie would the diffferences in pressures still matter, or would the shower being thermostaic regulate the differences.

All advice much appreciated.

bryn

Sponsored Links
You can get spedcial thermostatic showers designed for gravity hot water mains pressure cold.

Paul Barker said:
You can get spedcial thermostatic showers designed for gravity hot water mains pressure cold.
If u tee into the vent in the attic & the cold water storage cistern is sat on the joists its likley un will draw air in down the vent causing it to spit out of the shower head.taking the supply up from the cylinder can also cause air locks in the attic so if u do go that way dont rise off the top of the cylinder. as a cylinder heats up small oxyegen bubbles can be released up the vent so if u tee in below the main vent t off the cylinder u will hwlp to avoid this. CAN u not get the low pressure hot from under the bath & drop low pressure cold down from the cistern in the attic. As long as u don't want a booster pump that would give u no trouble.

My suggestion was in relation to getting hot and cold from under bath which he said is mains cold fed. Simplest option, perfectly good shower.

Sponsored Links
I wasent dismissing ur suggestion 4 got to remove it off the box. if he has all options hits his choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back