Gravity water can i pump?

Sponsored Links
meldrew's_mate said:
Don't forget, there must never be any valve between the boiler flow and the open vent, so it might be better to put the zone valve on the return connection (usually the bottom cylinder connection).

You may also need to close couple the cold fill and vent to reduce the risk of pumping over, though it is always best to run new cold fill and vent pipes to the pump suction, so I'd advise doing this at the building stage.

Ok i think this method makes sense to me (he says :eek: ). I will place the two port valve on the return and wire to cylinder stat and then to heating pump. The cold feed and the vent wont need to be re-routed in the building work so would it still work if i tee'd them together as you stated? and does it matter where on the pipe run i tee them? and now for the dumb question, why does teeing these together prevent pumping over?

Sponsored Links
And how do you propose to control the CH circuit? And how will the boiler be controlled? You seem determined to ignore advice - well, that's your problem.

chrishutt said:
And how do you propose to control the CH circuit? And how will the boiler be controlled? You seem determined to ignore advice - well, that's your problem.

stop trying to be another kevplumb with your sarcastic remarks you are getting boring...........one is enough

chrishutt said:

Thats a bit harsh, i am not ignoring advice? i am just trying to make it as simple as possible for me with everybody's help.

If i fit a 2 port valve on the gravity return and wire this to a cylinder stat, then wire the 2 port valve back to the pump, then tee the cold feed and vent, with all the helpful advice i have been given on here i would presume this would work?. The central heating will still be pumped by the circulating pump and the boiler will run off the programmer as normal, why wouldn't this work? as 2 or 3 on here seem to think it would.

All advice appreciated.

christopher said:
chrishutt said:

Thats a bit harsh, i am not ignoring advice? i am just trying to make it as simple as possible for me with everybody's help.

If i fit a 2 port valve on the gravity return and wire this to a cylinder stat, then wire the 2 port valve back to the pump, then tee the cold feed and vent, with all the helpful advice i have been given on here i would presume this would work?. The central heating will still be pumped by the circulating pump and the boiler will run off the programmer as normal, why wouldn't this work? as 2 or 3 on here seem to think it would.

All advice appreciated.

the central heating will be controled by the room stat which is wired to pump from timer/clock just ignore chrishut he is an apprentice trying to impress.

the central heating will be controled by the room stat which is wired to pump from timer/clock just ignore chrishut he is an apprentice trying to impress.

in which case mr DOLE your c plan just became a Y,S,or W plan :eek:

kevplumb said:

in which case mr DOLE your c plan just became a Y,S,or W plan :eek:

not if he leaves the 28mm in

Ok could someone advise if this will work:

1. fit 2 port valve to return pipe on gravity.
2. fit cylinder stat to cylinder.
3. wire cylinder stat to 3 port valve.
4. wire 2 port valve to pump.
5. tee cold feed and vent together.
6. fit room stat and wire to circulating pump and timer.

kevplumb said:
1 how many valves are you planning on fitting

2 look here

Only planning on fitting, 1 two port valve, 1 cylinder stat, 1 room stat and hoping to follow procedure below:

1. fit 2 port valve to return pipe on gravity.
2. fit cylinder stat to cylinder.
3. wire cylinder stat to 3 port valve.
4. wire 2 port valve to 240 volt connection.
5. tee cold feed and vent together.
6. fit room stat and wire to circulating pump (already fitted) and timer (already fitted).

Will this work?

christopher said:
I qualified as a plumber in 1989 and have never gone into the trade
Good move!

Your title for this thread is "gravity water can i pump?". Now you are proposing to keep gravity circulation with a C plan. Fine if that's what you want, but it's not what you were asking for. Have you changed your mind or are you just confused (understandable with that twit Bob Dull throwing spanners in t'works)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back