Greasing Road wheel bolts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone has told me it's ok to put grease Road wheel bolts on my x reg. mark2 clio, to help prevent them seizing on
Is this some daft joke to make my wheels come off?

Sponsored Links
its not supposed to be a good idea to grease bolts that require tightening with a torque wrench as its supposed to affect the torque figures

Sponsored Links
I never grease them. As the wheels turn it throws the grease out, no matter what type you put on them. I have two cars, both with alloys. I keep them well maintained and never have any trouble with the wheels seizing on.

copper grease is meant to be used on road bolts ( i use it all the time)- and by driving it wont throw it off- just put a bit on the thread and tighten them up.

its about £3 for a tube of it.

try not to get it on ur hands either ive heard its not very friendly with skin???

Copaslip isn't "meant" to be used on wheel bolts. It's not a proper grease, it's an anti-sieze compound.
It does help to prevent squealing on disc brake pads. It also helps to prevent chassis bolts seizing. That's what it's "meant" for.
If you read any manufacturers list of recommended lubricants for their vehicles, I'll bet you that none of them list any lubricant for their wheel bolts or studs. What does that tell you?

copaslip is great, but it does stain clothes and skin... I now apply very little with a brush or rag, and rub it well onto the thread so there's no gobbett of it to come off when you're changing a wheel in the dark in your best suit.

I especially like it on exhaust manifold nuts, where the greasy content burns off but leaves a fine copper powder lubricating the thread.

hello all..
there's no mention on road wheel bolts in the manual.

I got a flat the other day and despite torqing them down a year ago i had a hell of a job getting them undone, and bent the wheel brace in the process.

Use molly or graphite grease. Copper and steel don't go together very well and if you add a bit of road salt and water together with the electric current running around all our vehicles, you get electrolysis or super corrosion. Copper slip is ok for a while but graphite doesn't react and lasts indefinitely. This is why all steel ships are double insulated and have massive sacrificial anodes on them. Ferrous and non-ferrous don't mix, just ask a land rover owner :evil:

Heavy industry & oil refinaries use copper slip on heat exchangers etc, by the 5 gallon drum full at shut downs. So ratm I think ure talking rubbish.

Electrolysis is something entirely different. The reaction you're thinking of is called a Galvanic reaction, named after Luigi Galvani. The process of galvanisation is named after him.
When dissimilar metals are in contact with one another in the presence of an electrolyte, galvanic action occurs, resulting in the deterioration of the metal with the lower galvanic number. The electrolyte may be rain water running from one surface to another, or moisture from the air containing enough acid to cause it to act as an electrolyte. Since copper has one of the highest galvanic numbers or nobility of the active metals, it will not be harmed by contact with any of them. It will, however, cause corrosion of the other metals if in direct contact.
Anyway, graphite has a very high galvanic number, so it won't corrode in the presence of almost anything.
Read the third post, ch427 is on the right track too.

Just a little smear of coppaslip on the thread won't do any harm. And as for affecting the torque........ who torques up their wheel bolts anyway ?!

Bet 90% of garages just do them up with the air gun and that's it.

If that's the case, 90% of garages are doing it wrong. If the manufacturer specifies a torque, then they should be torqued.

Sponsored Links
Back