Great news for working families with children

Forgive me, but children should be raised at home by their mothers.
I assume you were, then? She fcked that up!

A fair percentage of parents are crap at it. Ask a teacher. "Thick and entiled" is an expression I've heard, from a teacher who tells me they've had to put little notices up at parents' evenings like the ones you see in hosptals - 'please do not abuse the staff'.

Sponsored Links
Back onthe child benefit thing, I wish I wish that they'd get it sorted, so :
you don't have to be on less than £7k a year to get it,
the "free" thing actually allows enough to pay for carers at a fair rate,
you don't have to be on benefits to get it
and of course from 0 to school age.

I didn't like the sound of Hunt's mutterings on some of those.

HAs anyone ever proposed child care to be associated with schools? Next door, sort of thing?

I assume you were, then? She fcked that up!

A fair percentage of parents are crap at it. Ask a teacher. "Thick and entiled" is an expression I've heard, from a teacher who tells me they've had to put little notices up at parents' evenings like the ones you see in hosptals - 'please do not abuse the staff'.
I think what you describing there is the result of what two parents working to afford a decent standard of living, one parent families and an education system which takes a liberal attitude to bad behaviour.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
HAs anyone ever proposed child care to be associated with schools? Next door, sort of thing?
You mean like they do in Scandinavian countries?

Of course that does mean everyone paying their fair share tax wise, but when you look at it in detail those supposedly 'high tax' countries don't actually have much higher tax rates than the UK.

They're just a bit better on using it wisely and looking out for the spivs!

They also fund higher education at a very low/nil cost, but then in the UK education is a business not a national asset!

Just seen the updates on the BBC live feed of PMQs.

For one-year-olds it doesn't come into force until September 2024....

Obviously a pre-election magic trick, but for me this is one of the best, direct piece of action this lingering government has provided. It's a massive boost for families who choose to work and dare to raise a child. It's the first positive story I've read in our daily diet of bad news.

For me personally, with my wife (nurse) having to cut down to part time hours and us both facing a £600 a month childminder bill, this is a massive millstone from our necks. I really hope it comes into force with no caveats.

A sensible policy which will help growth unlike Trussenomic hogwash

but it doesn’t go far enough, they should offer childcare costing no more than £10 a day….Canada did this be abuse the increase in tax revenue from more parents working…pays for it.

BTW it was a Labour policy which they launched in their conference 2022.

For better policies, don’t get them 2nd hand just get a Lavour govt in.

Back onthe child benefit thing, I wish I wish that they'd get it sorted, so :
you don't have to be on less than £7k a year to get it,
the "free" thing actually allows enough to pay for carers at a fair rate,
you don't have to be on benefits to get it
and of course from 0 to school age

have a look at Canadas child care plan:

“In Budget 2021, the government laid out a plan to provide Canadian parents with, on average, $10-a-day regulated child care spaces for children under six years old”

”This is an economic issue as much as it is a social issue. The government’s plan to build a Canada-wide, community-based early learning and child care system will create new jobs and growth, and get parents — especially mothers — into the workforce. Affordable child care is estimated to raise real GDP by as much as 1.2 per cent over the next two decades”

Well because for us it would mean waiting 1.5 years before we got the help, we'll no longer consider my wife going back to full-time nursing -- that's the direct impact of this. We would be better off on benefits, but we were brought up better than that.

Many European countries have policies like the one you mention in Canada. We're behind though, as usual. It wasn't until the last breaths of the Major Tory government in 1996 that we even had a legal minimum wage or a legal maximum to the number of hours one could work in a week...

Can we change the title to Great news for pregnant women and good news for some working families with children?

Thought I'd leave the specifics to the discussion!

It's not good news until mid to late 2024 anyway now. Obviously we can just struggle for another year, or just "pick up more hours at work" as per Tory advice.

I think what you describing there is the result of what two parents working to afford a decent standard of living, one parent families and an education system which takes a liberal attitude to bad behaviour.
SOme of it is that, yes, but the stories they can all tell of parents coming in and telling their eacher how crap they are at their job, thumping tables, are pretty alarming.
Even ordinarily balanced people need lessons, and help, imho. Where would they learn to do a budget, or what's likely to work with a tantrum or some other difficulty, or a child who just wants all the time?

Some of Hunt's rich bounty doesn't happen until more than 2 years' time, september 2025. Not sure those kids have been born yet! Does he not read the papers about nurseries which are closing today , did he not just visit nurseries?
Help and the employees it might release, are needed now, not years away.

have a look at Canadas child care plan:
Sounds ok but ???? $10 a day is nothing. ?

Last edited:
Co-locating nurseries and schools has obvious of advantages of dates, timing, location, facilities. It doesn't have to be "free", but would be enabling for parents to go off to work.

More employers should be providing childcare for their employees.
They can claim Corporation tax relief and other benefits.

Thought I'd leave the specifics to the discussion!

It's not good news until mid to late 2024 anyway now. Obviously we can just struggle for another year, or just "pick up more hours at work" as per Tory advice.
There's an election coming up.

Sponsored Links
Back