Greed and the NHS

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
At the momemnt, I pay the charge for my prescriptions (I live in England). If I'm spared, I will one day be 60, and entitled to free NHS Prescriptions. Would I be greedy and immoral to do this, since I will be costing the NHS money and therefore depriving the sick and poor of treatment?

Would I be equally, less, or more immoral if I lived in Scotland or Wales, and received free prescriptions even though I might be in work, or prosperous enough to pay for my own?

or is the immorality the fault of for example the Scots parliament for accepting extra taxpayers money out of the UK tax pool, most of which comes from England, and spending some of it on free prescriptions for prosperous residents of Scotland?

Sponsored Links
Haven't you noticed that there were no riots in Scotland? We are paying for the Scottish votes. It's a land of plenty. Free universities, free prescriptions etc.

If I'm spared, I will one day be 60, and entitled to free NHS Prescriptions. Would I be greedy and immoral to do this, since I will be costing the NHS money and therefore depriving the sick and poor of treatment?
If you require a Prescription you'll actually be one of the 'sick'.

but some of the sick pay. Is it immoral for some of the sick not to pay, especially if they can afford it?

Sponsored Links
Everyone should pay a token amount to stop people getting arm-loads that they never use. Doctors also get back handers for dishing out a companies Smarties. It all needs a review.

Everyone should pay a token amount to stop people getting arm-loads that they never use. Doctors also get back handers for dishing out a companies Smarties. It all needs a review.

Joe, the idea of national insurance was to pay for the NHS and a pension when you reach 65. As it is NI is just another tax on our earnings, but as the government see fit to keep it in place, then we all pay something towards prescriptions anyway.. I totally agree with your statement about doctors though. They give out prescriptions for named drugs when it would be cheaper to just prescribe generic drugs. ;) ;)

Wether working or not, i always sign the freebie box at the chemist, i tell lies when going for my eye test if i can get it free.
I am selfish, not with those who matter.

The MPs have a free ticket, so shall i. i have loads in the pipeline to fiddle, just like those at the top.

Wether working or not, i always sign the freebie box at the chemist, i tell lies when going for my eye test if i can get it free.
I am selfish, not with those who matter.

The MPs have a free ticket, so shall i. i have loads in the pipeline to fiddle, just like those at the top.
What a sad attitude, to set out to deceive is unforgivable.

Wotan

but some of the sick pay. Is it immoral for some of the sick not to pay, especially if they can afford it?
Why?
The entitlements are not set on some arbitrary decision by the Pharmacist. They are what they are.

It would be wrong if you were claiming illegally but you aren't....are you?

I am exploring the idea (put about by Ban in the subject of Solar subsidies) that it is immoral or unethical to accept subsidies, especially if some of the recipients are more prosperous than some of the people who contribute to the fund.

I have not yet seen much support for the idea that the recipient is to blame.

I am exploring the idea (put about by Ban in the subject of Solar subsidies) that it is immoral or unethical to accept subsidies, especially if some of the recipients are more prosperous than some of the people who contribute to the fund.

I have not yet seen much support for the idea that the recipient is to blame.
If one is more prosperous then surely the same person is chipping more into the public purse through taxes (let's avoid the debate about tax avoidance for the time being please), and therefore has the right to claim for his/her share when the time comes?

The whole point of paying into an insurance policy is that one might have to make a claim on it. It's not there as a charitable function.

Sponsored Links
Back