green damp proofing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had experience with the damp proof system calling itself Dutch and Green System? They basically seem to fit air bricks to improve air flow from the wall.

Sponsored Links
Is this what you mean - taken from an old book. Don't know if it's Dutch or green, or if in fact it worked. I would imagine the bricks would have to be fairly soft and porous for it to work

These systems have been around in one guise or another for many years. Holland, Dutch, clay pipe come to mind.

I've never seen any controlled tests or independent accreditation for any of the systems, so that rings a few alarm bells

I know of some people who swear that these things work, but what is never apparent is what particular damp problem existed in the first place, or what other work was done internally

They tend to quote science to validate the claims (evaporation and air vortices), and whilst the science is sound, I do doubt that it actually works as claimed within those little tiny holes

Sponsored Links
What a misleading site. Its full of nonsense.

From their "Tried and tested" page they mention a "scientific study" but don't actually cite the report, name it or provide examples or links.

If they are referring to the Dutch TNO report from way back, then they are blatantly misquoting it and using parts of it selectively.

And then have the audacity to use a quantity surveying students dissertation as a basis for an independent report. That's tenuous at best

It's smoke and mirrors. It's in no way a proven method, nor is it even a professionally recommended method, and after all these years, ask yourself why it is not even certified.

What a misleading site. Its full of nonsense.

From their "Tried and tested" page they mention a "scientific study" but don't actually cite the report, name it or provide examples or links.

If they are referring to the Dutch TNO report from way back, then they are blatantly misquoting it and using parts of it selectively.

And then have the audacity to use a quantity surveying students dissertation as a basis for an independent report. That's tenuous at best

It's smoke and mirrors. It's in no way a proven method, nor is it even a professionally recommended method, and after all these years, ask yourself why it is not even certified.

Agreed; he might end up cuddling his wife, though! :LOL:

I saw a report on these systems a few years ago. If I recall correctly the basic conclusion was that they work when the air pressure, temperature and wind flow is favourable. The question is how often do those conditions occur in reality? From memory it found that those conditions might (might) occur on one or two elevations of a house but it would be highly unlikely on all four. The most likely outcome would be success on one elevation for some of the time. Of course the manufacturer's would claim otherwise but my guess is they test in ideal conditions.

Yes that was the report from the Dutch TNO - Organization for Applied Scientific Research from the mid-80's

Basically the theory would work if certain conditions existed in a certain way at a certain level ..... for all the time. Their test was limited in scope and were laboratory tests not real-life studies.

Also the walls used for the test have different construction to ours in the UK, and the conditions simulated were not the same conditions as UK prevailing weather would be.

thanks everyone for replies, good advice and knowledge from you all!cheers

Doulton Wallguard :idea: - I found their WC`s to be quite good - they might have been the royal ones :confused:

For what it's worth, I have seen a very old installation of the original triangular ceramic tubes perfectly preserving a hundred metres of brick wall in the barracks in Albany Street, Camden, NW1 in London. As you walk past this long wall, the line is obvious where the tubes stop and the badly deteriating wall continues, although it is all the same wall.The principle certainly works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back