greenstar junior gurus!

Rob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replaced a faulty fan on one last week and tested.

called back today and guess what..its gone again :oops:

however this time was fairly obvious as to why... the CC base was full of water. i can only assume that this is rain water entering via the flue.

but to how its getting on to the fan electrics, which is right at the front, and from my experiment (pouring a load of water on the terminal!) it seems to be running down the condensate pipe-in the middle

any advise?

Sponsored Links
hmm i fitted a junior other week and trying to think of the layout. :confused:

Although dosent sound good to me what your describing. It must be a seal somewhere.the heat exchanger is on the right if im correct and the burner is from the top with the fan on the left.

Id be checking where the water goes somehow and looking at the seals..

AS far asive been told worcester parts are selling like hot cakes which means the current generation is crap. :confused: :confused:

Fitted a junior 24 a few months back, called back for a leak on the boiler, found the prv had dislodged from the brass seating. Drained the boiler and reseated the prv (push fit type) and it did it again! I rang worcester and told them of the problem, to which their reply was "the prv is not covered under the warranty on the junior range" :eek: After much arguing the engineer came the same day and replaced the prv and all is well! So far!

Strachan said:
Fitted a junior 24 a few months back, called back for a leak on the boiler, found the prv had dislodged from the brass seating. Drained the boiler and reseated the prv (push fit type) and it did it again! I rang worcester and told them of the problem, to which their reply was "the prv is not covered under the warranty on the junior range" :eek: After much arguing the engineer came the same day and replaced the prv and all is well! So far!

Yeah funny design, needs pushing out the way to seat the boiler on then pulling back to seat the PRV once boiler on!. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Is the flue terminal the correct way up? The flue terminal outer duct is angled to help prevent rainwater entering the air duct.

Its about time all steamers had a catch tray for any water ingress via the air duct (see the Baxi Duotec).

but to how its getting on to the fan electrics, which is right at the front, and from my experiment (pouring a load of water on the terminal!) it seems to be running down the condensate pipe-in the middle

Where did you pour the water?

If water gets in the air inlet side of the flue it will end up in the boiler case.

yeah gasguru it is, im hoping that theres a guttering problem (slight evidence)above causes a massive amount of water to be dumped on the terminal when its raining. still doesnt explain it gettin on to the fan.

dan, the fan does have a seal but not a wet one. and all condensation/rain through the exaust runs directly down to the trap.

If any water at all is entering the case the fan, when running, will attract water vapour towards it as it`s heated up inside the boiler.

Strachan said:
If any water at all is entering the case the fan, when running, will attract water vapour towards it as it`s heated up inside the boiler.

now thats a logical explanation! cheers for replies guys. Ill check this guttering situation ( and order another new fan!)

Worcester do a rain guard which fits inside the terminal on the outside, Found this out when i phoned them with the same problem (water in the fan and gas valve).
Fitted the rain guard havn,t had a phone call back from customer for 6 weeks so must work.

Which bit does it guard exactly? The air intake? Wondering now about all those skyward pointing plume diverters!

If I remember the last one of these I fitted-doesn't it have a silly flexible plastic tube to purge the air from the heat ex. after draining and re-filling and when you have finished with the tube it hangs right over the fan-and I also remember it was a sod to seal it again after using it cos it is a screwdown effect thing-bad design I think,it might be worth giving that a look and just check its not dripping cos if it is it will almost certainly go onto the fan electrics.

ChrisR said:
Which bit does it guard exactly? The air intake? Wondering now about all those skyward pointing plume diverters!
My statement exactly Chris.
I would have thought that the flue has been installed wrong and is facing upwards when infact the standard length flue on the Worc should be fitted horizontal as the inner flus is already angled due to clever design unlike Ideals for example :!:

Stan

pannierstan said:
ChrisR said:
My statement exactly Chris.
I would have thought that the flue has been installed wrong and is facing upwards when infact the standard length flue on the Worc should be fitted horizontal as the inner flus is already angled due to clever design unlike Ideals for example :!:

Stan
hahahahahah...its working again...dried out overnight..should have taken the hairdryer to it last night!

the flue must look upwards as the internal slope isnt great enough, as i found out with my GW hxi (same flue).

nigel, ive contacted worcester and ordered the rain guard apparantley its common on the white flues. im assuming its guards the intake aswell as exaust?

chr15 i know the bit your on about mate but unfortunatley i dont think its this..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back