Ground Floor Apartment Block & 2nd Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, i am asking this because i have serious concerns!!!!

my better halfs relative lives in a ground floor apartment block

2 Bed
Living room/kitchen
Bathroom
Hallway

Communal Area to main front door!

there is a Double opening window with Centre Fanlight opener in the living room, and a Single Opener in the Main Bedroom

what concerns me is the fact that the 2nd bedroom has no window access or means of escape aside from the bedroom door in case of fire,

about 7-8ft towards the cieling there is a 3 rows of the Glass bricks which are unreachable unless your the jolly green giant!

there is 30min burn doors but no fire detection system or sprinklers in place!

i am concerned owing to there is a 4 year old girl and a 5 month old baby boy living in this apartment aswell! and the Bedroom in question is the 4 year olds!

The development is a big site and the landlord/ association like to charge for the smallest thing that you call them out for even if its something that is under theyre juristiction they will still charge the tenant! im trying to obtain some background information about the situation and whether the room can be classed as a bedroom with its particulars!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
what concerns me is the fact that the 2nd bedroom has no window access or means of escape aside from the bedroom door in case of fire,

Which would be the same if this flat was on the 10th floor

If the flat is newish then it should have fire detection. If more than 15 years old, then probably not as the building regs did not require it then

Lounge and kitchen doors should be self closing and have intumescent strips

Which would be the same if this flat was on the 10th floor

If the flat is newish then it should have fire detection. If more than 15 years old, then probably not as the building regs did not require it then

Lounge and kitchen doors should be self closing and have intumescent strips

hey thanks for the reply, the apartment is less then 3 years old, and they were basically thrown up! Floors above all have a normal window/ juliet balcony as they extend out to the external of the building! it is just the ones on the ground floor in this block!

the Lounge/Kitchen door does close itself but does not have any kind of strip on it aside from a finger safety strip owing to children!

definatly no fire detection system in place and only 1 smoke detector in the living room hallway

Sponsored Links
but what about the glass bricks instead of a window, i was of the understanding if it didnt have a means of escape via an opening window then it couldnt be classed as being a bedroom! but this apartment was advertised as being a 2 bedroom apartment!

There is no requirement for an additional means of escape from this bedroom . Like I said, if this flat was on the 10th floor, you could not use the window to escape, and that is how high-rise flats are designed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back