ground source project so far

The op has possibly missed out on thousands of pounds of money by not getting proffesional mcs accredited installers in, as by diy it he won't get the rhi tarriffs, fool fool fool

Sponsored Links
kev, sorry mate but your so wrapped u in the mcs/rhi way that your blinded by some of the info/facts from previous efforts.
rhi is postponed already from its launch date,figures are still not agreeded,mccs installers would have charged the earth. what hes saved in install will probably over a 10 year period be more than the payback from the inscentive...if the unit lasts 10 years.

you probably dont remember the old grants,i do and they didnt ever pay out.....what makes you beleive that when launched the new scheme will be better than the previous failed attempts of clearskies,mcs etc.

The heat bank cylinder should be viewed just like an extra radiator that once it is up to temperature requires very little additional heat in order to keep it topped up (being well insulated).
The beauty of it then is it just sits there, out of sight and out of mind, until it is called upon; then when it is the HB is fully heated up and ready to go.

We have also been using the HBC for quite a number of years in conjunction with our air source systems.
Servotech
(The cutting edge of technology at your service)

We have also been using the HBC for quite a number of years in conjunction with our air source systems.
Servotech

I still do not follow how the contents of a thermal store, say 1 cubic metre of hot water, could have much effect on 20 cubic metres or more of frozen earth.

I looked at your previous posts to see whether they provided any sign of your expertise in this area of advanced technology.

(5/01/2010) I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing difficulties with this type of heating due to the cold weather that we are having at the moment?

The units are just putting out enough heat and are having difficulty meeting demand during the cold weather.
I've been delivering fan heaters today.
This cold snap that the country is currently experiencing is just what we didn't need!

I think not. Keep up the stocks of fan heaters.

My arsse.

Sponsored Links
The cutting edge of bulls**t more like, I think servotit uses the the warm water from the heat bank on his ashp's to hose them down when the coils freeze. I can guarantee he's never installed a gshp

The heat bank cylinder should be viewed just like an extra radiator that once it is up to temperature requires very little additional heat in order to keep it topped up (being well insulated).
The beauty of it then is it just sits there, out of sight and out of mind, until it is called upon; then when it is the HB is fully heated up and ready to go.

Servotech

how about this for a idea then! put something like a small air source heat pump in the loft area this would take all the wasted heat that would be going though the roof using the hot feed out to feed the ground source heat pump with any remainder heat going the ground collector, my theory is the larger the ground collector the warmer the ground will stay, the warmer the ground the less the ground source pump will have to work! the lass it has to work then the less you have to pay for energy

most heat pump manufacturers recommend a maximum yearly ground source heat pump run time of 800 hrs max and thats not a lot when you get down to figures and most talk is that the first year the pump runs at 100% the second at about 75% and the third its crap, its for this very reason that i'm trying to recharge the ground as much as i an in the summer months!

Heat pumps CAN be worthwhile, usually only when nat gas is not available.

They CAN give a worthwhile heat output.

But most systems fail just when they are most needed when its -6°C outside and been like that for the last week!

The heat input source needs to be very conservatively rated to work properly.

The Antartic research station does not use them!

I suppose if you live near the coast then using the sea as the heat source is a god idea as that does not freeze until it gets to about -12°C and there is plenty of m³ of water which moves around the heat input element unlike ground based systems.

Tony

Could shove a load of Polypipe down the sewers and get the heat from there...!

Or you could just pump warm sewage through the radiators to take the edge off the cold.

one of my main concerns is freezing the ground as the person i purchased the heat pump from had just that happen to them thus they was forced to sell the pump, there ground collectors were in the front garden and during the cold spell at the beginning of the year they returned from holiday to find the water board diging the road up outside the front of there house, the pump had not only froze there garden and drive but also permutated out into the street and froze the main water pipes to the rest of the road!,

Interesting. They went on holiday, left the GSHP running and froze the water mains!

I wonder whether his PLI covered him for split water mains. Was it a DIY installation?
Are you covered for frost heave claims if your foundations, or a neighbours, are affected? Could be expensive.
i agree 100% measuring on google the front garden was 11 x13 meters block paved with the side of a neighbors house ajoining, the heave of the frozen ground was at least 300mm in places making it a very lumpy drive.
the water board told them in no uncertain terms that it had to be disconected immediatly? i saw what was left 6 months after and the drive had still not recovered but ice can take a long time to thor, i could not find out what they had installed in the way of slinky or bore hole, but if i hadnt seen it i dont think id of beleave it? and that what is making me a bit jittery the damage it had caused?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back