Grouting round a toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting wall tiles in a small wc. With teenage boys there will be some splashing:( Should I use an epoxy grout?

Sponsored Links
Not really electrical, but you can use epoxy grout if you want to.

If you haven't used epoxy grout before, read the instructions very carefully and practice on some scrap tiles first. You can then decide if you want to use it on the finished tiles or not.

Not really electrical but -

Don't know, Google it. Probably more comprehensive explanations.

If you haven't used epoxy grout before, read the instructions very carefully and practice on some scrap tiles first. You can then decide if you want to use it on the finished tiles or not.
Good advice, but a problem is that epoxy grout is generally only available in relatively large quantities, with a warning that the proportions are so critical (I'm not convinced!) that one should not attempt to mix less than the full lot!

As you are presumably implying, it's a pain to use, but is very good 'when needed'. I used it (with a lot of swearing!) on our tiled kitchen worktops, and it's all still fine, 25+ years on!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Dont use epoxy - use an ordinary neutral coloured grout, say, grey. But not white.
Tile your wall (& floor?) before setting the WC.
Dont silicone in the floor where it meets the WC bowl - it will look terrible after a while.

You could use a grout sealer like LTP Grout Protector.

It will repel most things, but with pee being acidic, it can break down the sealer and it will need re-applying every couple of years.

Agree that epoxy is hard to use but it will work for what you want it for. But as above mixing the whole lot in one go, you will need to work super-humanly fast to get it applied and cleaned off before it sets.The best one I have used is the Mapei Kerapoxy. Its A LOT more forgiving than some of the other epoxy's out there. Much easier to work with as it has a lower viscosity but you still only have 45 minute to apply and clean off. It also says on the pot "For professional use". If you want to use it, you'd be wise to get a tiler in.

One final suggestion. Buy them a funnel until they can learn to pee straight?

Very helpful Paul, thanks for that.
Good thought with the funnel, though they'd probably miss that and I'd have a worse problem!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back