Grrrr, downlights are descending en masse from the ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are 8 B&Q downlights in my kitchen and I don't have the appetite to get rid of them. (yes, I know lots of people don't like them). However, the units are descending a bit and I just can't get them to stay. It's a false ceiling and there's no crawl space above (I'm in a top flat). Obviously the clips are crap, but can anyone advise the best way to get them to stay fixed to the ceiling? I'm close to going and buying strong glue...

Should I try and buy new clips? Where do I even start? All help gratefully received. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Pictures would be good.

The reason most don't fit flush is because they either have lost a clip or one is up against a joist or because the hole is too big.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for quick replies. I'll get one of them down and have a closer look at the clips, but I'm liking the Gripfill chat...

How big is the hole in the ceiling? If it's considerably bigger than the light fitting requires they will flop about a bit. What might work is to cut something you can shove above the ceiling for the springs to bite onto. But it has to be something that can take the heat/not flammable. Maybe thin bits of plasterboard??

If the hole is nearly as big (or bigger :eek: ) than the fitting then you have a problem. When this happened to me in our bathroom I put more plasterboard above the ceiling screwing it to the existing plasterboard and plastered the hole to the right size. Once dry the fittings would stay put proplerly and you would never know now it's been painted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back