Grundfos Selectric and re-filling Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched but cannot find an answer anywhere, so either not searching properly or hasn't been asked before (doubtful) Anyway, sorry if this is a repeat.
I need help with my pump when re-filling my system.
I have a primatic system and have just drained the system to change 3 rads. All went smooth until re-filling - filled the downstairs OK, but the rads upstairs wouldn't fill and I put the down to the pump not letting water through.
Is this the case and if so, how do I get the water to fill the upstairs radiators with the pump in place?
Is there a bypass valve on it somewhere??

Any help would be appreciated - let me know if you need more info.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I put the down to the pump not letting water through.
What if the gate in one of the valves snapped off when you were trying to re-open it?
Did you indeed remember to open the isolation valves?
Is there a manual air vent there that needs bleeding?

Im pretty sure nothing broke when opening and closing as there was no resistance in any gates or valves.

I think it is probably the manual valve suggestion but have no idea how to do this on this pump. I can bleed it with the large screw in the middle, but the only other thing I can find is a switch on the side for flow speed - no manual option.
Any more suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Its airlocked up so you could try draining again and start refilling or turn pump on and off a few times to see if that shifts it.

I tried turning the system on for a while and got a huge bubble in the cictern in loft. All the rads then filled OK.
I left it overnight to settle and turned eveything on the next day. The heating worked and water gets hot. At first I though it had not worked as there was a brown tint to the DHW, but seems to have settled down now and is running clear.
Is this just because its been drained and is clear water or have I been lucky and the bubble has reappeared correctly? Will the water stay clear or will it turn brown again over time??
At first impressions, seems to have worked but am not 100% convinced!
Thanks

All sounds ok, the dirty h/w is normal because you've disturbed the sediment in the bottom of the tank, it should clear up after a few hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back