GSHP which companies?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to embark on a new build which has taken 3 years to get through planning.

I am looking for some advice on which companies I should be talking to about a quote.

I have spoken to Invisible Heating and Eco Living (advice on here re Nibe). I was also considering Ice Energy but their subsidiary in Scotland is now called Ice Heating which is making me wonder if something is afoot there.

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Please treat me gently (first post) my head is about to explode with the amount of things that I need to sort out and I am well out of my depth.

Sponsored Links
go with anyone nibe recommend as approved installers.

personally your wasting your money(yes i fit it) but hey ho.

Why are we wasting our money?

Edit:-

I have re-read one of your posts where you probably cover why we are wasting our money so I think I know where you are coming from.

But what about some of my arguments:-

We have no mains gas otherwise this would be my choice.

The other factor being I hope to do this one and lower running costs in the future are slightly more of a priority than capital costs.

Oil prices will not come down and could become seriosly expensive in the next few years. Mindyou I think they already are.

We are about to embark on a new build

What construction method are you using?
If its blockwork cavity then consider 150mm cavity and pump this with bonded bead.
On all the interior faces of the exterior walls batten these with 50mm battens and insulate between with 50mm Kingspan or similar.
Then dry line on top and skim.
300mm of loft insulation.

Thats how a relative built his new home a couple of years ago. His only regret was using a 100mm cavity!
Cavity ties are now available for 200mm spacings.
He heats his home using a GSHP and tells me 16 euro per week is the cost averaged over a 12 month period.

Its large. About 3500 sq feet. With three teenagers using copius amounts of hot water.
I've asked him to fit an energy meter to give a better idea and of course he may be topping up with an immersion and not adding on this cost for the HW.
But all in all he's very happy.
The guy who installed it just went out of business but thats another story. ;)
Of course a property like this will be a miser on oil consumption also.
Oil is certainly expensive and have paid £0.50 /L for a recent refill.

He runs his HP at night on off peak electricity and the a top up for a few hours during the day. The huge screed acts as a heat store.

A bivalent heating system with oil or some other heat source might be a good idea for the daytime period.

Sponsored Links
16 euro a week indicates it aint in england where the products arent as good and the ouside ground temps during the recent periods are sooooo cold.loop freezingly cold ;)

serious alternatives at the minute are biomas pellet wood solar at a push but still dont think its cost affective and LPG.

sorry im away at the mo,if the posts still popping about next week i,ll expand some more.

For a house that size I thought it was pretty cheap.
Of course his figures could be wrong.
Could be more or could be less! ;)

Why do you think heat pump products are better in England?
I worked in the refrigeration industry for many years and never seen a heat pump product from England that could touch european quality.

Hintza, we have installed system for all the companies you mentioned & I must say they're all very poor when it comes to service. Ice Energy take your money & you can wait endless weeks for your heat pump. Ecoliving promise the earth, but are understaffed & any Nibe we have fitted has had one or two problems during the install, but long term they're OK. As for Invisable they're base is in Mallaig!!! They're service is rotten & they're technically wanting.

Speak to Danfoss in Perth, they're one of the best.

What you must understand is all these companies are run by ex-car salesmen, with no heating trade background & they tell porkers to get sales. Greenwash products is the new Double Glazing!!

What are you thinking of installing, ground loop or bore hole??

Have you considered installing a cheaper storage electric boiler that runs on E2000 tariff, a well insulated new build home would be very economic to heat with that.

With some geothermal installs you'll not get much change out of £15K!!!
And then they don't even size it for the coldest day of the year & you need to suppliment it when it's boltic freezing - like -14 deg C, as we had this winter!!!

There are some 20s houses by the A406 at Wembley belonging to the Council or HA which are having EXTERNAL wall insulation being fitted.

I only saw it from the road as its a difficult place to park but its interesting and I will try to stop by to see exactly how they are doing it.

Tony

You could also try Thermsaver, they do De Longa heat pumps & one of their Directors is a HVAC consultant & a great bunch of people to deal with.

http://www.thermsaver.co.uk/

External insulation is quite common here in Scotland Tony, what with old concrete system built social housing etc.

For a house that size I thought it was pretty cheap.
Of course his figures could be wrong.
Could be more or could be less! ;)

Why do you think heat pump products are better in England?
I worked in the refrigeration industry for many years and never seen a heat pump product from England that could touch european quality.

sorry foreign key board helped me miss my punctuation.

uk gshp units arent anywhere near as good as overseas packages.miles away from the scandanavian ones. Nibe would be my top recommendation over here

As I stated earlier, we have had installation problems with Nibe heat pumps. Poor English translation in the MIs, PCB & wire link problems. In fact, with the several we have installed, I can't think of one that didn't have a minor fault!!
As for Ecoliving don't even consider them!

As I stated earlier, we have had installation problems with Nibe heat pumps. Poor English translation in the MIs, PCB & wire link problems. In fact, with the several we have installed, I can't think of one that didn't have a minor fault!!
As for Ecoliving don't even consider them!

ive had nightmares with the danfoss units(diplomat from memory),hard to set up and get running to there best effiecency.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back