GU10 Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All just a quick question...we have old style lath and plaster ceilings here some if which have been plasterboarded over to aid strength.Can i fit GU10 downlighters in the ceiling and if so what type.Im concerned about the possibility of heat/fire hazzard?

Any comments welcome.

Sponsored Links
You can fit down lights into your ceiling but you may have problems with the fixing clips. They are designed for single skin plasterboard so in the places where the laths have been over boarded it maybe a bit on the thick side.

Cutting a nice clean round hole in lath & plaster is a challenge so stock up on the polyfiller!

If it was me, I'd drill a piolet hole where the centre is to be, then with a hole saw bigger than the light, drill downwards from above only as far as through the laths, then I'd remove the bit I'd just cut out, and go downstairs and drill the right size hole through the plasterboard

With the ones that havent been boarded over, its going to be more difficult, and I'd strengthen the laths either side of were the hole is going to be before drilling through, and expect to have to use filler afterwards

Some downlights come with several fixing positions for the spring clips to accommodate overboarded ceiling depths.

As for the hole, the best you can do (if you insist :rolleyes: on following the herd) is to just use a decent, sharp holesaw.

Sponsored Links
I tend to use an old blunt holesaw to cut through the plaster (as it will not snag and take chunks out of the ceiling), then a nice sharp one for the laths. Just take it steady.

dingbat said:
(if you insist :rolleyes: on following the herd) .

I'm not a fan of them either ding, but I'm not sure what you'd put in a bathroom if you didn't want spots, rest of the house is easy enough:

lounge & dining - a fancy centre fitting
bedrooms - a plain pendant fitting, or a centre fitting thats like a bar of spots
kitchens - florescent strip lights
hallway - pendant fittings

But bathroom, I'm not sure whatelse would do... our main bathroom has R80 wickes spots in (now they do look crap! [put in by last owner, btw], dare say todays spots will in a few years down the line...), but we are redoing it at the moment, so got the chance to put something different in

Adam_151 said:
lounge & dining - a fancy centre fitting
bedrooms - a plain pendant fitting, or a centre fitting thats like a bar of spots
kitchens - florescent strip lights
hallway - pendant fittings

I agree with that statement. I would maybe add a couple of wall lights in the lounge too.

Fluorescent fittings are perfect for kitchens. The provide bright even spread light, very few shadows, and cost next to nothing to run (ours gets left on nearly all the time :confused: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back