GU10 LED Downlighter query

Sorry, but you're (mainly )wrong.

The warm moist air from your bedrooms will still rise through these holes and condense in the cold loft but less fast then when you were really heating the air with 50W bulbs.

You need to:

1) Seal the downlighters (loft-side ) with either a commercial product or a box made out of plasterboard

2) Ensure that you have a vapour barrier (plastic sheet) across the whole of the loft floor under th insulation.

Sponsored Links
The warm moist air from your bedrooms will still rise through these holes and condense in the cold loft but less fast then when you were really heating the air with 50W bulbs

Isnt that what i said, less heat less condensation

Thanks for the tips by the way, i will be putting either these

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLALC724.html

or doing the plasterboard box thing. Well someone else will :)

The warm moist air from your bedrooms will still rise through these holes and condense in the cold loft but less fast then when you were really heating the air with 50W bulbs

Isnt that what i said, less heat less condensation
READ WHAT WE ARE SAYING!

The issue is NOT with heat from the lights! Stick a 500w halogen light in your loft, leave it burning for weeks. It wont do any harm to the loft, it will not cause condensation. Why? Because it isn't producing any moisture!!!! Neither do your downlights, LED or halogen.

The issue is that WARM, MOIST air rises through your swiss cheese ceiling!

Though you misunderstood the issue to start with, those caps will sort the problem, halogen or LED.

maybe i'm just a bit rubbish at maths, but i still don't get how you took 9 out and put 78 in?

Did you have to drill an additional 69 holes to accomodate your new lights? I can see how that would be seen as a bit of a poor design choice without further info.

Or the new lights installed have more than 1 LED per 'bulb'? If so, are they all the same design and how did the manufacturer manage to get 8.66 LEDs into each 'bulb'?

so confused :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'd love to see the wholesalers face light up when he goes in and orders 78 firehoods :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Steve, are you sure the halogens arnt the cause or are contrbuting in some way to the condensation.

He is, and so am I - the lamps do not give off moisture.

You are getting condensation because of the holes in the ceiling, and you'll still have those holes no matter what sort of lamps you use.

might the condensation be exaggerated if there are little lumps of heat sat in the holes in the ceiling, increasing the amount of convection?

Just thinking along the lines of how mineshafts could be ventilated by fires

might the condensation be exaggerated if there are little lumps of heat sat in the holes in the ceiling, increasing the amount of convection?
Yes, it will exaggerate the problem, however without the heat the moisture will still get into the loft through the holes.

Yes, it will exaggerate the problem, however without the heat the moisture will still get into the loft through the holes.

yea, with downlighters in general, i appreciate that holes will still be there, no matter what kind of lamp is used.

I just asked as someone said the heat from the bulb won't make any difference and wasn't sure that was 100% the case.

I'd be surprised if the convection currents will make a significant difference - they aren't that strong.

You'll need to have sealed enclosures whatever type of lamps you use.

i wouldn't really know either way, it was just a thought.

I do agree that there should be a seal of some sort.

Anyway, don't know if im just being a bit thick here, but how does someone take out 9 of something and replace it with 78? -Something doesn't add up :confused:

Anyway, don't know if im just being a bit thick here, but how does someone take out 9 of something and replace it with 78? -Something doesn't add up :confused:

The new lamps each contain 78 individual LED emitters. There aren't 78 fittings in the room :eek:

Thanks e-uk, i thought i was going daft(er) for a minute. I haven't seen a gu10 with that many LEDs in before. (21 yes, but 78?)

I wonder how long this thread would go on for if somebody had got 78 fittings in one ceiling? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back