GU10 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had two separate lights in different houses which take GU10 bulbs but both have regularly blown bulbs at the rate of about one every six weeks, does anyone else have this trouble?

Sponsored Links
GU10 are cr@p. I never install them.

Are they in kitchens?? lamps dont last as long in high ambient temperatures.

Yes they have both been in kitchens, in our previous house I replaced the light completely and then where we have moved to this house there is another one taking GU10

I have installed in my house about 100 GU10 bulbs (about 2 years ago), including the kitchen (10 x 50W), they started to go just, now which seems to me as the normal life expectancy for this type of bulbs. Is it luck or there is something wrong in your lighting circuit?
Albert

Sponsored Links
Maybe he's using cheapo lamps. Or ones rated at 230V.

Albert - were your 10 all in the ceiling? What size kitchen? Was it the right amount of light, or did you wish you'd had more, or less?

ban-all-sheds said:
Maybe he's using cheapo lamps. Or ones rated at 230V.

Albert - were your 10 all in the ceiling? What size kitchen? Was it the right amount of light, or did you wish you'd had more, or less?

Being honest I don't think that I have the best quality bulbs.
All my bulbs (about 90) but the ones in the bathroom are 230, all in the ceiling.
The kitchen is quiet big about 4.5m x 5.5m
I don't know what is the right amount of light but it is bright enough, I don't need more it's ok.

The first spotlight which took four lamps was manufactured by 'Ring' used the lamps supplied wiith it (cheapo?) and was installed by qualified elelctrician all four blew within 3 months. I contacted Ring to see if this was normal, didnt get a clear reason for it but they sent me four free lamps, which all blew within a few months again.
What are considered to be cheapo lamps?

Anything other than a well-known brand like (for example Osram, GE Philips etc)

Personally, I think Osram are hard to beat.

BTW if you have a dimmer, you need good quality GU10's with fuses built-in, otherwise when the lamps fail, the dimmers go west too.

Albert said:
All my bulbs (about 90) but the ones in the bathroom are 230, all in the ceiling.
You must be at the tail-end of the supply - have you ever measured your voltage?

IIRC, running a 230V lamp at 240V will get you 55% of its rated life.

jeff1954 said:
What are considered to be cheapo lamps?
Ring, for a start... ;)

As SS said - go for reputable makes. And do watch the voltage rating - Albert may be getting away with it, but you've no guarantee. It might interest you to note that Philips, for one, make lamps in both 230V and 240V - there must be a reason for that.....

ban-all-sheds said:
Albert said:
You must be at the tail-end of the supply - have you ever measured your voltage?

IIRC, running a 230V lamp at 240V will get you 55% of its rated life.

SORRY (this is a big sorry) I have now a new bulb in front of me and it says: make Sylvania, HI-spot ES 50, 50W, GU10, 240V not 230V, this are the original ones, the replacement bulbs are Osram 240V.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back