GU50 Halogen bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if someone could give advice on replacing power hungry GU50 Bulbs.
There are 6 in the ceiling of my kitchen and when I switch the light on my electricity monitor goes through roof. Would LED bulbs give the same brightness while using less power? or what about the Compact fluorescents are they any good .
As the LED's or fluorescents are more expensive would appreciate some advice before buying them.
many Thanks for any comments.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Wondered if someone could give advice on replacing power hungry GU50 Bulbs.
Do you mean 50W GU10s?

Would LED bulbs give the same brightness while using less power?
I think a lot depends on whether you like LED light or not. I've not tried any 2" diameter LED lamps for a while, and I know they have improved quite a lot over the last few years, but when I did try them I thought they were sh**e - nasty colour and nowhere near as bright as the makers claimed unless you stared directly into the beam.

Other people here can recommend current products, but you're going to have to try them and see, and as you observe it's not cheap to experiment.

or what about the Compact fluorescents are they any good .
Not bad - can be a bit slow to get to full brightness but not enough to be a problem. They are bigger, and may protrude and look carp, and the dimmable ones used to not work very well (again they may have improved of late).

The fundamental problem you have is that 2" diameter torches sunk into the ceiling is not a good way to light up rooms, irrespective of the type of lamps you use.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2012913#2012913

Sorry as soon as I posted I realised my mistake yes GU10 50W
Thanks.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back