Guarantee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What guarantee should I expect on a new bathroom installation. I have a leak in the pipework behind a shower head that has only now become apparent 2 years after the installation. The obvious damage to the plaster in the hall has only just been noticed although the leak may have been there for some time.

Sponsored Links
You probably will have to sort it yourself after 2 years :(

Can you see where it is leaking from :?:

Its normal to expect a one year guarantee on parts and workmanship.

However any plumber who values his reputation would deal with a leak on pipework for at least five years free of charge.

Some dont though!

Tony

I have chased out part of the hall wall which is damp and exposed the fitting at the top of the copper tube that connects to the shower head.
Unfortunately to get access to tighten etc. would mean taking tiles off. However I was would ask a plumber if he could pick up the feed under the bath, run it out to the hall wall and then back to a position adjacent to where the shower head is now. This would (hopefully) mean only one tile coming off and replastering an 8 x 4 hall wall. I am also hoping that the water hasnt undermined the plaster behind the tiles.
How can you tell if they are still well established as I would like to know now because if they are not then the same insurance claim could deal with that as well, although the repiping is not covered.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:

However any plumber who values his reputation would deal with a leak on pipework for at least five years free of charge.

Tony

A bit ott Tony. If it hasn't leaked in the first year it is not likely to leak due to an installation fault after this :eek:

Agile said:

Some dont though
A can't remember what a done a month ago never mind 5 years Tony. :LOL: :LOL:

petetheleak said:
A can't remember what a done a month ago

Pete, last month when you were in Hamshire you fitted my new bathroom for me. The shower mixer now needs replacing. Please replace it FOC.

gas4you said:
A bit ott Tony. If it hasn't leaked in the first year it is not likely to leak due to an installation fault after this :eek:

Perhaps not Dave but just what are the possibilities which could cause it to start leaking? I cannot think of any which are not resulting from the installation work.

My first guess would be a compression joint which was not adequately tightened during installation. Thermal cycling causing it to start leaking.

I would always fix it free for many years afterwards if I had fitted it and it started leaking.

Tony

JohnD said:
Pete, last month when you were in Hamshire you fitted my new bathroom for me. The shower mixer now needs replacing. Please replace it FOC.
Not a problem john will be there 1st thing monday get the kettle on, only problem can't for the life of me remember where your palatial abode is M8.

if the joint was fabrictaed poorly then the installer s responsible FOREVER (hence why by law you have to keep your public Liability Certs for 40 Years)

if you dont beleive me call your local trading standards

:)

I recently installed a concealed shower in a false partition I made. Of course it was a firend of my brother and of course it was much further than I would normally travel hell I do enough travelling already).

Anyway, he noticed a whiff of damp and a small patch forming on wall in the room behind. On getting there I found that the bush going into the shower body for the hot water had a small drip, but only after the shower had been used (expansion/contraction I suppose). Still I removed the tile, refxed the joint and paid for the tiler to go back and re-fix it out of my own pocket.

That is what warranties are for. In your case after two years I would have repaired the leak FOC, but probably not paid for the tiler.

JohnD said:
And before that you were round mine installing a new drain run, but you didn't do a very good job and it often gets blocked. Please can you come and dig it up and redo it all?

Agile said:

Some dont though!

Tony

ohh i'm sure you would to preserve your proffesional :D reputation :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back