Guesstimate materials cost for 30' x 10' extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know quotes for work are against the rules, but I am planning to build my own extension and wanted to know what sort of costs are involved for materials.

Extension will be single storey, flat roof, brick wall and block cavity wall, divided into 2 rooms with partition wall. I'm just after the cost of things like bricks, mortar, foundations, roof, plasterboard. Number is bricks would be an interesting one, is there a rough guide eg x bricks per sq metre?

If I have a budget of say £6k would that cover materials?

Feel free to tell me to stop being lazy and goto a build center and price things up.

Sponsored Links
I used http://www.estimators-online.com

Very simple to use. Just send them your plans and £60. You get a complete breakdown of labour rates / labour hours / material cost + a materials list to punt around the builders yards. For information my extension is about 40sqM, single story, apex roof. Estimator online quoted £52K (- £7K to replace the existing bungalow roof)

There were a few mistakes in the quote. They did an 'issue 2' free of charge. Provides a useful benchmark for obtaining quotes and looking at different ways of completing your project.

I am self building / using and bricklayer / plasterer. Overall I am coming in below budget on materials, although I have stuggled to hit their target prices in some areas. I am far enough though the project now to forecast the endpoint at about 60% of the total estimator online quote and about 70% of the cheapest builders quote (but to much higher spec). A big chunk of material expense went into the floor. I wasn't prepared to compromise on the foundations and floor (£2.5K) The parts to build the walls are less expensive (£1,500) ... It's amazing how it all adds up though as you approach completion!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back