Guidance for wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i'm just looking for a bit of advice I started painting our wall without any preparation and the previous paint started peeling off so I decided to remove all of it and ended up with this
2hq87tc.jpg
so instead of repainting I decided it would be easier to wallpaper and a friend suggested to use evo stik pva prior wallpapering I was wondering if this is correct or is there something else to it?

The wall is dusty and the remaining blue paint is hard to peel off I don't know what the white is also very dusty.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Those walls are in a dreadful state. My advice would be to get a plasterer to skim them, then paint them.

If you wall paper them without re-skimming, you would need to

1. Fill the worst cracks and craters with a good quality filler e.g. Toupret
2. Sand the whole room down thoroughly
3. size with wall paper size
4. Line with thick lining paper (2000 grade or preferably Wallrock) - horizontally hung if you ever plan to hang another decorative wallpaper on top.
5. Hang top paper or paint the lining.

But even then, there's no guarantee of a smooth surface.

DON'T use PVA! It's a nightmare when you come to paint it in the future - it stops the paint adhering properly.

Ok, but i'm safe to use the PVA for wallpapering? I don't think i'll be painting it ever again

also peel or leave the rest of the paint?

No, please DON'T use the PVA for wallpapering.

Use good quality wallpaper glue made up to 'size' consistency (see packet for instructions).

People think (mistakenly) that PVA will bond all the flakey bits on a grotty together and give a good base to paint or paper onto. It won't.

Sponsored Links
I recently decorated our bedroom (nearly finished) and the walls were also in a bad state.

If you really don't want to get it skimmed, as emily said you will definitely need to fill and sand (ALOT) if you are using a thickish blown vinyl paper you will get away will slightly more.

If its the thin paper - Laura Ashley type I'd forget it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back