Gurgling sink problem....advice needed please.

Hi Jackrae.....the sink with the AVV is the utility sink...its when I empty the kitchen sink approx 15 ft away that the utility sink gurgles...there is no visible pipework to be seen that leads to the utility sink...it would seem any pipework is under kitchen floor or somwhere else..as we had a new kitchen fitted a few yrs ago and I know for sure there are no pipes behind the kitchen units

Sponsored Links
Wow you really have a problem.

Sounds like the "suction" from the kitchen sink is so great that the AAV is incapable of letting enough air into the line to prevent the trap being syphoned.

I'd suggest you again remove tha AAV, fill the utility trap, fill the kitchen sink then place your hand lightly over the pipe that the AAV was connected to.

Now get someone to release the kitchen water and try and feel how much suction you get on the AAV pipe. If it's quite strong then clearly the drain line from the kitchen sink is filling full of water and sucking hard on the utility line.

If that is the case you need to resolve the kitchen drain installation issue - by fitting an AAV to it as well or T-ing off the line with an open vent through to the outside of the house.

If the sink in the kitchen doesn't gurgle then there could be a plug of water being created pushing air up through the utility sink trap rather than being drawn down through it by a vacuum.
In 99% of the cases it is usually the former and a vent sorts that out.

If this didn't happen before and it does now then there could be a partial blockage creating positive pressure.

Try this - take vent off, place one square of toilet roll over the end of the vent pipe, do your bucket test on the main sink, does the paper get blown off the top of the vent pipe?

Hi guys, I put a single sheet of toilet roll onto where the avv should be....although the paper did not blow off (excuse that pun 😂) it certainly flapped around a little bit......Alan

Sponsored Links
So it didn't get drawn down into the pipe rather it fluttered up the way?

If so then it's not negative pressure, it's positive. That will be caused by a blockage somewhere downstream of where the utility sink's downpipe feeds into the main waste under the floor.

Now you're getting into the realms of accessing the pipe under the floor, or at least trying to deal with that from above. Drain cleaner, unblocker, pressure cleaner etc methinks

Madrab....yes it went upwards for sure,I have tried numerous drain/sink cleaners so far,also I have a drain snake approx 12ft or so long...that went into the utility room sink waste pipe easily full way and no sign of anything on the end of it ie chunky dirt bits or grease....I am wondering if it's worth a try to dismantle pipes under kitchen sink and pour strong drain cleaner/unblocker directly into the waste pipe there in effect bypassing the trap...so then it would directly follow the route of the water and not get held in the kitchen sink trap ?

Ok, If you've tried everything else then I would be looking to disconnect the pipe work from the utility sink, bung up everything that connects to the same waste pipe bar the main sink and use a pressure cleaner, like a ropump to blast the pipework.

On the other hand, can you not live with the gurgling :)

Or connect a wet&dry vacuum cleaner to it an suck out the gunk rather than endangering compacting it

update guys....while waiting for my mate who has a powerful wet/dry vac...I decided to in the meantime dismantle all the fittings I had done and refit making sure all the connections were done up firmly...and now the gurgling has stopped completely. ...so I assume something previously was not as tight as it should have been...once again guys really appreciate your advice/help as now it seems the valve is working as it should...many many thanks......Alan

What you added, even if loose, shouldn't have corrected the ongoing problem by simply tightening them. Something somewhere doesn't quite Gel (excuse the pun) and although you seem to no longer have the problem, loose fittings being tightened doesn't add up.

So what else has changed that you don't consider material to the solution

hi Jackrae...absolutely nothing else....I dismantled what I fitted...and reassembled it all again the exact same way...and immediately the gurgling stopped ..possibly some great coincidence or something but it has definately stopped now after weeks of gurgling :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back