Gurgling sink problem....advice needed please.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,I'm back again.....I have now fitted the air vent BUT sadly the gurgling is still happening see pic for how I have attached the vent ....
...hopefully I have done it as suggested,I also noticed there is no noise or vibrating from the vent when I have heard the gurgling sounds,I assumed it may rattle or shake or something but it stays absolutely silent,as I said previously I can find no blockages anywhere along the pipes at all,is there any other explanations or advice ? Thanks again in advance,.....Alan

Minor point is that the T is in upside down - the sweep in the bend should point down the way - but that shouldn't really be the cause of the problem - unless the branch line has filled with water.

Can I suggest you temporarily remove the AAV and see if the gurgling still occurs. If it doesn't then the flapper in the valve may be stuck - it can happen.

The valve can be dismantled - the top screws off and you'll see a small rubber disc possibly with a guide pin. Just check that it can move freely.

That's spot on, just turn the T up the other way, so the swept part of it faces down.

That now effectively vents the pipe below from the sink to the utility basin and stops the vacuum being created between them, therefore it can't be the sink draining and the water in the pipe below then pulling on the utility sink trap and causing the gurgling. Check the valve hasn't got stuck, should be able to pull it apart

Sponsored Links
As mentioned, if the AAV is working ok and it still does it when it goes back in then it's not the water from the sink that's causing the gurgling.

The only thing that's changed is the dishwasher's been added. I'd be tempted to disconnect the dishwasher drain pipe and seal up the spigot and see if it still does it.

Hi again, I am going to do everything suggested as soon as is practical,.....although with the dishwasher there is no gurgling when that empties but I see the point about the only thing that has changed is the fitting of a dishwasher....and it definitely only happens when the kitchen sink is emptied that the utility room sink gurgles....so as Arnie says guys " I will be back" and keep you informed,I really do appreciate your help/advice. 👏👏👏

No bother, just going through the fault finding exercise, so whenever W. The other test I would do is empty the utility trap bend of water and see if it still gurgles, if it does then it may be sound traveling up from the pipe below. If this is the case then you may have to vent the kitchen sink too I'm afraid.

Hi guys,have done a few things (but not touched connections to dishwasher yet ).....I have turned the T connection right way up and have checked air vent valve for freedom of movement and it "appears to move freely....although I turned vent upside down without the screw cap cover on and I expected the rubber washer bit to drop out but it did not it stayed inside the fitting ie did not move at all,also I tested 5 bowls of water down kitchen sink without the vent fitted result was no gurgling at all in utility sink,I then put 2 bowls of water into kitchen sink with the vent fitted result was gurgling utility sink both times....so I am thinking that although the vent I bought seems to move freely(ish) It may be a faulty one anyway,could that be the case ? Or should I try anything else, many thanks again in advance.....Alan

The disc should have moved when you rattled the valve so it sounds as if it's stuck - it should move freely so you either have to get the AAV changed or attempt to free it up - it might just be "stiction" from sitting on a shelf for who knows how long. It should be dry so if you do dismantle it make sure both disc and its seat are dry.

Hi Jackrae ,I have now dbl checked the disc is bone dry (tissue and lightly with hair dryer ) it now seems to move freely But have just fitted it back onto pipe and it still gurgles,I think I will buy another vent and see what happens with that one,I will hold off buying one for a few hrs in case there are any more options that could be suggested I try. 👍

Ps,I have now disconnected dishwasher.....blocked up the spigot....put the vent back onto pipe......still gurgles.

Pps. I have now emptied the P trap under utility sink and put two bowls of water into kitchen sink....No gurgling in utility sink

Hi guys, just to say I've tried another valve (same type)..... Sink still gurgles,I am now at a total loss ! 😱😱😱

Sounds (excuse the pun) that somewhere in the drain line between the sink with the AAV and the utility sink there is a section of pipe that is permanently filled with water and acting as a further trap. If such exists it'll cause the AAV to perform - but that doesn't explain why the utility doesn't gurgle if you remove the AAV !

If possible you either need to make a 3D drawing of your sink drain systems where it leaves the photos you've shown and joins the utility drain. Possibly supported with further photos of the drain line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back