Gutter trays?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I've got a chap coming round to price up replacing my gutters soffits and facias (sp?). I know hom through work and no doubts he will do an excellent job

We've always had a mild damp problem where the roof meets the wall and he seems certain when they laid the felt for the roof it's slipped into the cavity so any rain not caught by the tiles is fed straight into the cavity!.

I have a friend down the road with the same damp problem and also our neighbour has it too.

Just wondered how common this is?, our house was built in the 1950's, no idea if it's ever been re-roofed but all looks in good order loft side and outside.

Think even if the felt is all the way out I'll still go with the gutter trays as belt and braces.

Sponsored Links
Keithmac, good evening.

Given that there are more than one instance of your problem it appears to me at least there is a very. very high probability that there is a common building defect that is / has occasioned your [and others] problems.

I personally would go for your proposed belt and braces way forward.

Once your roofer is up close and personal with the affected area the problem may become evident?

OK your question as to how common roof felt dumping rain water into the cavity is. Not common, I recall one occasion only having seen this arise ? ? ?

Ken

Thanks for the reply Ken, will be interesting to see what he finds when he starts the job!.

I can't do ladder work/ heights or I'd have a look myself!.

The damp seems a very common occurrence down our street/ estate and my roofer has said he's seen it a fair few times now so we will see!.

Only other option is the tiles have been laid too short and not enough overhang but I've had the gutters cleaned a few times over the years and nobody's mentioned it?.

Keithmac, good evening again.

Could be the under-slate felt is cut short?

Do you know anyone in the street well enough to ask if the work they had undertaken has been successful, and more importantly what was the cause after all why re-invent the wheel?

Other option is to try a search on this site for your builders name or house type and see if there is any previous answers to your immediate problem?

Trouble is that your very specific problem could be similar but repair is a different issue?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Good evening again Ken.

Had him round today for a quick look and a chat.

I'm having facia and soffits replace and new gutters. I've asked to have gutter trays fitted regardless so he's going to take pictures while he's up there.

He mentioned the ridge tiles could to with re-setting/ pointing which you can see from the ground when it's pointed out, this will be a job for another day though depending on his quote.

Said up to 3 days work for facia/ soffit/ gutters and gutter trays (needs 1 or possibly two tile runs lifting) which sounds fair enough to me.

Lol with the paragraph spacings and similar grammar it’s like you two people are the same dude.

Anyway good luck hope you sort it.

Hard to tell from picture but it gets damp where the long shadow is across top of wall.

The ceiling slopes down due to rafters so I assume the roof wall plate will be in this area?. Happens across front and rear of house.

Will see what quote is on Tuesday but it all needs doing asap really!.

20180528_090002.jpg

It is fairly common to get condensation at the wall/ceiling abutment. If you think about it, this is the spot where the roof tiles are closest to the ceiling (cold bridge) and where the insulation is likely to be at its weakest.

Condensation! especially if you have the old black bitumen felt
and a raked ceiling, felt support trays will be a waste of time.

To be fair while he's up there no point not fitting the trays!.

Will see what happens, could be condensation as you say.

poorly fitted insulation and little ventilation more likely

It is fairly common to get condensation at the wall/ceiling abutment. If you think about it, this is the spot where the roof tiles are closest to the ceiling (cold bridge) and where the insulation is likely to be at its weakest.

What's best to do with that then? Kingspan between rafters (with air gap?).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back