Guttering advice (Mini or not)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I’m currently doing a renovation and wayyyy over budget, so trying to do some things myself. I’m aware of how to fit the guttering and fairly confident in doing so however I’m not sure what’s available on the market etc.

I’m attempting to change the guttering in the picture it’s broken and missing parts. My questions are:
- Is mini guttering suitable even though the pipe you see to the left is connected to all the other guttering on the house? As in would that pipe be likely to fit in the mini guttering and be able to handle the flow off the main house guttering?

If it’s a no to the above are there any reasons I couldn’t put on mini guttering around the section of that outhouse and then give the line serving the house guttering (as mentioned above) it’s own down pipe?

Trying to avoid putting on the larger guttering as it hits into the garden gate ‍♀️ and trying to avoid the hassle of building out the wall around the gate more.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7891.png
    IMG_7891.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7996.png
    IMG_7996.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7994.png
    IMG_7994.png
    1 MB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Hi, I am just a diyer, but what I would do is change the guttering to mini size but seperate the flows so the mini gutter flows into a branch on the main downpipe, instead of the main downpipe flowing into the gutter and then flowing into another downpipe.

This will ensure you have a good flow from the house, and may reduce the risk of blockages.

Basically:

1) Remove everything below the red circle.

2) Run a new downpipe up vertically into the elbow fitting in the red circle (you may need to extend the horizontal house downpipe with a socket, and a little extra 68mm pipe so that the fitting in the red circles lines up with the vertical downpipe)

3) Add a Y branch fitting into the new vertical downpipe near the top.

4) Run mini guttering around the outhouse

5) Run the y branch into the outlet of the mini guttering. You need a little 68mm pipe on the Y branch, then an adapter socket for 68 to 50mm pipe, then some 50mm pipe going diagonally upwards into a 112.5 degree 50mm elbow which connects to the vertical outlet of the mini guttering.

I think this would cost about £60-100 in bits.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back