Guttering - replace or repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having a few problems with leaking gutters. In truth, its something i should have addressed when i bought the house 3 years ago, as it was referred to in the surveyors report. But i put it off, got a quick fix done on a leak and promised myself i'd look at it properly later on. This time has now come, as its leaking in a couple of places, and it looks crap.

It's aluminium cast, but with a plastic downpipe. The recent bad weather has caused the pipe to break away from the guttering.

About 12 months ago i had a bloke look at it. He said he'd replace with plastic for £200. This was over 12 months ago (had a few things on, so put it off).

Decided to get someone else to come and look today, on the recommendation of a friend. He said i'd be mad to replace it, due to the cost of the stuff, and that it compliments the house (a 110 old terrace). He also said i could have problems in the future with plastic warping or splitting. He said he'd repair, clean out, and paint for £240.

So, which sounds the most suitable course of action - repair or replace?

The rest of the houses in the street, bar one, have the aluminium, and it does look decent. I just don't want further problems down the line from leaking.

Your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
:LOL: Yeah, fair enough.

Opted for the repair rather than replacement anyway. Getting it done for £200.

End of thread, i suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back