Gutters suppose to hold a bit (2 cm) of standing water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my gutter done, and upon testing (spraying water onto the roof). It seemed at the 2 front corners of the gutter are holding water; about 2 cm of it.

I called the guys who did it, and they said:
- the gutter are suppose to hold some water
- if they make fall too much it would look ugly
- And want me to install a down pipe straight to my garden.

Does it make sense?

Sponsored Links
most gutters i have seen are empty, you dont want water sitting around it could go stagnent or become a home for the bug you get maleria from

Gutters are not suppose to hold water, I can't believe the guy said that to you. Gradual falls can be applied to a length of guttering that will allow all the water to drain without the fall being very noticable. Although, corners will tend to hold about 2mm of water.

Hi. Most gutters hold a bit of water over time owing to leaves/sediment etc. However if its a bungalow with long runs between outlets it can be difficult to achieve a fall without compromising the aesthetic. As for discharge on to garden, Australia may have differing reg's to that of the UK. Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Gutters will inherently hold water as it is impractical to get a fall which will dispel all water.

The actual concept is that they fill up to such a point as the water "overflows" down the outlet, not that every drop rolls down to the outlet

The OP's problem seems to be that the two corners are lower than they should be, which is different to the gutter holding water, and so it is a quality issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back