H2O friendly sub floor for upstairs bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've just started a project of replacing my upstairs bathroom, I'm using tradespeople when necessary and trying to complete as much of the work as I can

I had the old bathroom suite removed yesterday

Currently we just have painted floorboards in there, I need to replace some of these then I plan to install a subfloor over the top, which I will eventually cover with karndean/amtico flooring.

Can anyone suggest a suitable material for the sub floor ? It needs to be as water tight as possible. Someone mentioned 'marine ply' to me, what is it and is it easy to use, also how do I fix / seal it

Sponsored Links
i think it's the term sub floor that might be foxing people.

there are quite a few posts on marine ply if u search on it. it is the top notch product for this type of application.

i've not used it so i'm not much help.

i guess fixing wood be by screw and sealing by waterproof glue ie PVA wood glue.

i use laminate so it's not that critical.

i know of kardean and the final result is pretty spot on. would try their website as i think they are pretty picky on how it's installed and i think i saw installation guide on their site.

I've just started a project of replacing my upstairs bathroom,Can anyone suggest a suitable material for the sub floor ? It needs to be as water tight as possible. Someone mentioned 'marine ply' to me, what is it and is it easy to use, also how do I fix / seal it

Marine plywood is the highest grade plywood and costs up to fifty pounds per sheet ( 8 feet by 4 feet by 18mm ) to buy from a timber merchants. This cost compares with around twenty to thirty pounds per sheet for ordinary ply. It is called "marine" because the special glue used to adhere the wooden surfaces together is highly resistant to water which makes it suitable for the occasional floods and mishaps in kitchens and bathrooms. However, you pay for the privilege. I've found that you cannot buy plywood from the H*base/BQ but Wickes sell it as do any timber merchants.

If you can't afford marine ply, choose exterior grade wbp plywood instead. This is cheaper and nearly as good. For example, marine ply would probably be overkill for bedrooms and living rooms where you don't expect local plumbing floods.

Some people will disagree but personally I would avoid all chipboard when selecting a bathroom sub floor and don't go anywhere near MDF !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back