Had plasterer put up new coving to match old

Measure around the curve keeping tape tight to surface. What is distance?
The new 127mm will be that distance.
The old coving will be white plaster paris and bigger.
Just asking for interest

Sponsored Links
Ah I see what you mean, just measured the length of it and it's 2ft /615mm, about 4-5mm, noticed it's slightly off on some parts at the bottom too, and even on the newer sections, any advice for this ?

Jesus wept.

I would would refuse to pay him. It is shocking. Why is the adhesive proud of the edges and smeared on the walls? And why don't the corners match at the same horizontal level?

In the following image, as you look up at the ceiling, the red is the coving, the black is the timber. Fill the white wedged area with filler. The longer the wedge, the less obvious the difference.

View attachment 301522

If the plasterer is unwilling to do it properly, you could follow @Wayners advice and get a coving that matches. It isn't difficult to put up, but it is easier with two people.

Frankly, I would not be happy with the current set up if I were the one paying.

Ah that's great, thanks.

Do you mean by him doing it properly for him to take the old off and replace with new ? Would that not damage the walls and ceiling ? I went to give it a go a few weeks ago to avoid having to match it and it seemed solidly on and that I'd damage the walls and ceiling, I used a chisel and mallet.

If I asked him to fix this, would it cost for him to remove all the old and replace with new ? I don't get why he didn't just say it's not the right size and your old stuff will need to come off, I guess to avoid plastering other walls due to damage and cost ?

Jesus wept.

I would would refuse to pay him. It is shocking. Why is the adhesive proud of the edges and smeared on the walls? And why don't the corners match at the same horizontal level?

I've no idea, he's already been paid. I have little knowledge with DIY and got dodgy electrics done a couple week ago, this is really disheartening to hear, seems like I can trust no one and keep getting ****ed over, jesus.

Sponsored Links
Measure around the curve keeping tape tight to surface. What is distance?
The new 127mm will be that distance.
The old coving will be white plaster paris and bigger.
Just asking for interest

Sorry don't know what you mean, measure the curve of which piece ?

Sorry don't know what you mean, measure the curve of which piece ?
Ok

People think 127mm coving comes down wall 127mm. It don't. It's about 83mm down wall and 83mm out on to the ceiling.

So get a tape measure on the top ceiling edge of cove, and bending tape so it's sits tight to the surface face of the coving, measure to the bottom wall edge of coving.

The 127mm cove you can try first, to get the idea and that will be 127mm

I just wondered what the old coving is..

Jesus wept.

I had an issue where some old dodgy electrical cabling ran across wall and slightly proud of the wall (it was wallpapered over) I had electrics fixed and these cables made dead, so wanted the wall to plastered over and parts of the cabling are still proud, is there any reason for this ? Don't know if it's clear, if not I can try send more pics, there seems to be some small raised bubbles across the plaster also don't know If you can see them, what are these ?

Attachments

• PXL_20230422_095249491.jpg
    PXL_20230422_095249491.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 42
  • PXL_20230422_095258500.jpg
    PXL_20230422_095258500.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230422_095235424.jpg
    PXL_20230422_095235424.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 54
Ok

People think 127mm coving comes down wall 127mm. It don't. It's about 83mm down wall and 83mm out on to the ceiling.

So get a tape measure on the top ceiling edge of cove, and bending tape so it's sits tight to the surface face of the coving, measure to the bottom wall edge of coving.

The 127mm cove you can try first, to get the idea and that will be 127mm

I just wondered what the old coving is..

This is the old coving, can't get the tape measure completely flat but looks 127mm to me

Attachments

• PXL_20230422_103224615.jpg
    PXL_20230422_103224615.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 52
Jesus wept.

Just seen your message about the coving adhesive dry, I'm not sure what they used but they were applying it in big dark brown blobbs, I initially thought it was plaster or bonding or something

Dont have him back. You could do a better job yourself.

Ok. But the new 127mm coving was too small?
Should line up.
I've used window packers to increase depth of adhesive so things line up when fitting coving in the past.
Just looks to me the older coving is thicker and not standard.

Redland was importing cove from Canada back in early 90s. That was a little thicker and more rounded along edges. Might be that and will say on the back of old coving. That's if it's not running cove which it's looking like it's not now you have measured.

Think you need to take down all the coving and start again with new 127mm.

Ok. But the new 127mm coving was too small?
Should line up.
I've used window packers to increase depth of adhesive so things line up when fitting coving in the past.
Just looks to me the older coving is thicker and not standard.

Redland was importing cove from Canada back in early 90s. That was a little thicker and more rounded along edges. Might be that and will say on the back of old coving. That's if it's not running cove which it's looking like it's not now you have measured.

Think you need to take down all the coving and start again with new 127mm.

House was built in 1968, though think a modern false wall was put up relatively new and that has kind of matching coving, can see the join if you look closely at pic I attached.

If I get someone to take all coving off these bedroom walls, will it cause damage to ceiling and walls ? I tried to chisel it off and the old stuff seemed proper solid, from there if the wall is uneven can a plasterer level out the wall to where the old coving was, or do I basically need every wall and ceiling possibly plastered once all coving is off ?

Attachments

• 16821606201177042834756292469618.jpg
    16821606201177042834756292469618.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 35
Coving can be removed with care. Cut along the top and bottom with a knife to reduce the damage to ceiling and wall.

Take your time....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back