Hairline crack - plaster dropped slightly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the living room ceiling reskimmed a couple of years ago and several months late quite a long hair line crack has appeared in a sort of rectangle. Most is very thin I can fill but a part about a metre in length, the plaster has dropped. I.e I can push the plaster with my finger upwards to make it level again with the sound bit of the ceiling.
How would I go about sorting this as it seems this bit had not adhered to original plaster?

Im thinking on the lines of scoring with a stanley knife a couple of inches in from the crack in the hope it will just fall off as its not adhered properly. Then Pva it, apply a scrim and refill. Is this enough or any other ideas please

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it hasn't got any scrim - and is a bit of a a bodge job.

You are on the right lines to fix it but an amateur might find easi-fill better than plaster.

Thanks. He reskimmed over a textured ceiling that was sound. The kind that created a series of sort of waves, semi circle shape. If a remember right he just pva'd it and off he went with the skim.
I dont mind mixing a bit of plaster for small jobs. I done a bit before on patch work etc. Its the whole wall I woudnt touch although I would love to have a go. Got a brick chimney breast straight into the loft thats just used for bit of storage. Perfect to have a try when I get round to it....then again I also have some easy fill to hand already. Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
If he has plastered over an existing old celing, then what could have happend is that the old ceiling ( whatever it is lime,board,cement etc ) May have moved and cracked and that will then crack the plaster he has put over it. I have seen this countless times. As if the kids are jumping around upstairs or they drop stuff, or if the bathrooms above and theres a bit of water soaked through etc.

Before people shoot the plasterer, it may have nothing to do with him!

What you could do is lift the floorboard above the crack, see if you can see anything ( do it carefully though incase your ceilings live )

Brad

If he has plastered over an existing old celing, then what could have happend is that the old ceiling ( whatever it is lime,board,cement etc ) May have moved and cracked and that will then crack the plaster he has put over it. I have seen this countless times. As if the kids are jumping around upstairs or they drop stuff, or if the bathrooms above and theres a bit of water soaked through etc.

Before people shoot the plasterer, it may have nothing to do with him!

What you could do is lift the floorboard above the crack, see if you can see anything ( do it carefully though incase your ceilings live )

Brad

no need to lift floorboards, the plasterer might have just missed a bit of ceiling when pva'ing, thats why its not taken to the existing. I personally use bondit(blue grit from now on) so this problem doesnt happen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back