Half Hipped Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am toying with the idea of a loft extension. The easiest way is to just use windows inserted in place of some tiles. The way to gain more headroom (and living) room is to insert a "box" in place of a section of the original roof slope (dormer). In general dormers tend to look massive and ugly.
As I think our bungalow is right up against the 50 Cu. m. non-PP limit, I shall have to tiptoe around the planning issues. So my ides is to extend the current (hipped) ridge beam, so the "lean back" of the end is a half of its current value, say from 4 to 2m. Then glaze the new half hippped end. This would give a room with some Pzazz and reduce the mass outside. The new all-glazed end would be part of the roof structure and inside its a compromise, no vertical wall to put furniture up against but increased length of head height. I do not believe there will be any "overlooking" problems,
Any one seen it done? Any obvious draw backs other then size v. cost?
Frank

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back