Halfords Branded Tools- Any good?

Reaction score
Country
Colombia
They're doing a good deal on a set of ratchet spanners under the Halfords Advanced brand. half price(39.99) looks decent enough, any experiences?

Sponsored Links
i work with an ex grease monkey and he rates halford tools highly.cant remember if they have an unbreakable return policy like snap on but this chap always sang their praises

We have a halfords socket set and combi spanner set at work.

It takes a fair bit of abuse and seems good quality for them money.

Sponsored Links
Halfords "professional" tools do indeed carry a lifetime warranty. I once took back a 10mm ratchet combination spanner with a slipping ratchet and they changed it for me. The girl wasn't happy that I didn't have the receipt and, insisted I keep them in future. Who's going to keep a little till receipt for a lifetime? Besides just having the spanner with their name stamped on it should be enough.
I have in my collection;
An 8mm Halfords combi that's identical to a 8mm Premier combi that I have.
A 10mm Halfords ratchet combi that's identical to a 10mm Signet combi that I have.
A 13mm Halfords combi that's identical to a 13mm Taskmaster combi that I have.
A 10mm Halfords combi that's identical to a 10mm Taskmaster combi.
I also have a 3/8 drive Halfords ratchet that's identical to another 3/8 ratchet I have, can't remember the brand and it's in my other box so I can't check.
In my opinion they are very well made tools.

Ditto. I've got a set of these ratchets, well handy and worth the spend.

Note that the ratchet mechanism is not covered by the guarantee.

They replaced my 10mm combi ratchet spanner which had a dicky ratchet.
They say their ratchets (moving part) aren't covered because they will wear. But wear and breakage/fault are entirely different things.
I edited this because it was actually ratchets I was refering to after the first sentence.

Read the comments on the links above, Halfords themselves say that the ratchet mechanism is not covered.

Given that it is a ratchet spanner & there is nowt else to go wrong on it they would IMO be on a sticky wicket claiming that but thats what it says.

I know Halfords say the ratchet isn't covered. The point I was trying to make was; Why isn't it? I can understand it not being covered for wear and tear. But, they do break, chrome flakes off, teeth break (granted usually when abused) they rust and seize if not used for a while. The little ball that holds the socket on falls out. There's a lot more to a ratchet than just the innards.
And with regads to combi ratchet spanners; the lugs can snap off the open end too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back