Hall and Landing lights nightmare!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone please give me a little advice?? I have a two gang switch in the hall that controls both the landing and hall lights. Upstairs i have a single gang switch that controls the upstairs light only. The problem is none of the lights work!! I'v opened up both switches and both ceiling roses and moved various wires to try and get them working again but to no avail.

Heres what i have:- (not including Earth wires)

Downstairs switch: 2 cables with two wires in each (red, black with red band) one goes to downstairs rose and the other to the upstairs switch.

Downstairs Rose: 2 cables, one from the downstairs switch (red, black with red band) and the other has a red and a black (the black is connected to the upstairs rose but not the red)

Upstairs Switch: 2 cables, one from downstairs switch (red, black with red band) and the other just a single red wire?

Upstairs Rose: 2 cables, one from the upstairs switch (single red wire) and the other has a red and black (the black is connected to the downstairs rose but not the red)

I know im a penis for not remembering which wires i moved around! but please could you help me to put the right wires in the right holes and il give myself a good talking too.

Extra info:- The downstairs switch has holes named "L1, com, L2 and L1, com, L2. The upstairs switch has "L1, L2, L3. There was also a 3" piece of wire linking two of the holes within the downstairs switch.

Sponsored Links
In the upstairs switch, the single red wire will go to the L1 terminal. The red and black cores from the same cable will go to L2 and L3.
If you look at the downstairs switch you need to identify which switch is which i.e. which com goes to which L1 and L2. This is often in a triangular formation, however not always.
Once you have done this, try Red from ceiling rose to Com with the loop, black to L1 for one switch.
The other end of the loop goes to the other switch Com and the wires to the upstairs switch to L1 and L2.

Thanks for the reply. The downstairs switch is in two line formations with L1 top, com middle then L2.

I have wired them exactly as u said and ther results are that the hall light works and is controlled by both switches downstairs but the landing light still does not light. Also the upstairs light switch has no effect on either lights.

I think the problem now lies within the landing rose as a normal rose has a red in to the loop block possibly one out too, a red from the "loop" block to the switch and a black with red band from the switch to the "live" block which then provides the live to the bulb via brown wire. All this returns to the N block.

My landing ceiling rose however has a red into the "loop" block, a red out of the loop block to the switch(not sure if this is right) but there is no return from the switch via a black wire with red band to the "live" block??? So the only wire in the "live" block is the brown to the bulb??

Please help me as this is driving me mental!!! cheers.

You may have the two cables mixed up at the bottom light switch, worth trying them the other way around?

Sponsored Links
Iv tried that and it doesnt work. Any other ideas especially about the landing light rose dilemma i mentioned???

Here's my idea:

Read up on how lighting circuits and 2-way switching work and use your multimeter to identify the ends of the circuit cables, switch cables and strapper cables, and which switch terminals are which, then you'll be able to put it all back together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back