Hallstead Boiler Pressure Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I've been having some problems with the boiler over the last while and I'm looking for some more advice.
I've been having pressure problems for a while now, //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/leaking-halstead-platinum.331823/, and as in the other post the pressure was still dropping. I found a leaking gate valve for the system drain under the floor beneath the boiler and replaced it.
I do still have a PRV that is dripping very slowly and I'll need to replace.
I checked the pressure vessel for any evidence of water in the unit, only air came out, and recharged it to 1 bar.
I refilled the boiler to 1 bar and fired it up. The pressure climbed quickly to 3 bar so I turned the stat down and then boiler off.
I drained the system again and charged the pressure vessel to 1.5 bar and refilled the system to 1 bar. When I fired it up the pressure rose again to 3 bar.
Now, the radiators are getting hot quickly and there is no air in them.
I know the AAV is working as I can hear it when I drain and refill.
Why is my pressure climbing to 3 bar? I don't want to charge the PV to more than 1.5 bar as the manual doesn't tell me what pressure to set.
I am stumped with this and need some advice.
Thanks

Hallstead Platinum boiler in a bungalow with 5 small single rads and 2 large double rads.

Sponsored Links
Your expansion vessel has gone or needs repressurising.
How has it gone?
I have checked it for water and have re pressurised it twice and it holds the charge. What else do I look for?

You need to drain the boiler/heating system. Pressurise expansion vessel to say 1 bar or so.
Refill the system. The pressure then shouldn't climb when you run the
system it should stay approx 1 to 1.5 bar when hot.

Sponsored Links
It could be that the hose/pipe that the expansion vessel links to the boiler is blocked and as such the expansion vessel is redundant, before checking make sure you release the pressure from the expansion vessel or you will get covered in black sludge when you try to clear the blockage

It could be that the hose/pipe that the expansion vessel links to the boiler is blocked and as such the expansion vessel is redundant, before checking make sure you release the pressure from the expansion vessel or you will get covered in black sludge when you try to clear the blockage
Thanks, I'll give that a go at the end of the week.

I took out the hose this morning and cleaned it out. It wasn't easy. It was choked up and the sediment had dried out hard. But I got it cleared and refilled the system and the system is working perfectly.
Many thanks for your help 'ianmcd' :D

Glad to have helped out mate on this occassion but take further advice you need inhibitor installed to stop it happening again its not expensive say £20 to you and 20 mins to install ? worth preventing more damage , give me a shout if you want to know how to do it properly

Glad to have helped out mate on this occassion but take further advice you need inhibitor installed to stop it happening again its not expensive say £20 to you and 20 mins to install ? worth preventing more damage , give me a shout if you want to know how to do it properly
Thanks. I have a rad in the bathroom to change for a towel rail and a rad in the kitchen to move and then the system will get a dose of inhibitor. Although I have to say when I drained the system I was presently surprised to find the water running clear. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back