Hallway flooring - To laminate or not to laminate...........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps, can I get your advice please.....?

I'm looking at changing the flooring in the hallway. Currently we have tiles. The house did have wooden flooring (I am presuming over laminate flooring) beforehand but the tight previous owners deemed it necessary to take it with them......and again presuming, they then re-laid with tiles afterwards (as opposed to them always being there).

So, can I lay laminate over the top of the tiles, given it probably will be easier, with the hope using the small gaps at the sides below the skirting boards as the expansion gaps. However the gap is not uniform and varies roughly between 6-8mm or so.

Now the first problem with this is the non-uniform gap. I know in my head it is going to be too narrow for laminate and underlay.
So, first Q's on this point:
1) Do I REALLY need the underlay? As then the boards may squeeze in..
2) Is it even worth thinking about moving the skirting boards to accomodate the flooring? (Sounds messy to me).
3) Or shaving a bit more of the skirting boards at the bottom?

A couple of piccies of said gap:
View media item 4893View media item 4894
Or would I be better of doing the job properly (and more aesthetically pleasing) and getting the tiles up and re-laying with proper wooden flooring?

Im not a fan of the wooden beading that runs around the side of rooms to create an expansion gap so would like to avoid that look.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back