Halogen lights & magic eye

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Bit stumped on this - I'm replacing some ancient bulkhead lights on the outside of my Mothers garage.

Currently there are 2 bulkhead lights, and a Halogen. The power goes from the house, into the garage and then has an isolator switch with a 15amp fuse.

I've replaced the first bulkhead light - when we turn the power back on it lights up for a split second then goes out. The bulb doesn't look blown, however after replacing the bulb to test it did the same thing again (which suggests to me that the bulb is blowing?).

I'm not sure what is going on - the power goes into a magic eye, and then 3 lights sprout from that.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
if by "magic eye" you mean a sensor that turns the lights on when it gets dark then possible the "magic eye" sees the lamp coming on as the sun rising and turns the lamp off.

I doubt it is a lamp(bulb) issue, you could double check using them in another fitting.
I suspect the sensor is switching the lamps off, some sensor have an override facility, try switching on and off a couple of times in rapid succession.

if by "magic eye" you mean a sensor that turns the lights on when it gets dark then possible the "magic eye" sees the lamp coming on as the sun rising and turns the lamp off.

Hi Bernard - yeah its a motion sensor it is located the corridor between garage and house, and the lamp is to the side of the garage door - so its not pointing at the sensor.

@PrenticeBoyofDerry - i'll see if turning it on/off/on helps, now that you mention it I recall an old one in a previous house having a feature like this.

Thanks for help so far! - Im back up there tomorrow to try again...

Sponsored Links
link out the pir and then see if it works. if it does the pir is the problem.

When you apply power to a PIR, most of them light up the load (the lamps) for a period while the PIR acclimatizes itself. The lamps then switch off until night time.

If it all operates otherwise then I would guess its working properly.

thanks for all the replies - it looks like the PIR is on it's last legs, ill get that swapped out as soon as its not dark or raining.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back