Halstead Best 80 ignition cutout, needs constant resetting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler played up last winter and it was repaired (term loosely used) by a local tradesperson (term very loosely used) , the original problem was the ignition cutout coming on regulary, he replaced virtually every board and control box in the boiler and cleaned the burner. It cost me about £700.

In the end the problem was still there albeit not so often (about once a week instead of virtually one a day), he finally said the gas pressure needed adjusting, he did this and the boiler has been heating the hot water throughout the summer without failure.

We turned the CH last week and now the boiler has again started to cutout almost every morning, not fun showering in tepid water.

Has anyone has experience of this boiler and ignition cutout problems/issues?

I am loathe to get another expert in from the Peril Pages.

Best regards David

Sponsored Links
If it runs ok in central heating then I would hazard a guess at the plate heat exchanger.

Do you mean an ignition lockout? I used to service quite a few Halsteads, and one of them needed the ionisation lead removing and cleaning with a clean dry duster at every service, or it would start regular lockouts within a few weeks. The ionisation probe also needs to be clean, dry and sound.

Needless to say, this is work for a Gas Safe man.

No, its been working fine all summer heating the hot water, last week I turned the central heating on as well and now the ignition cutout keeps activating again.

Best regards David

Sponsored Links
Mysteryman, yes indeed I mean the ignition lockout, my mistake sorry.

I have a qualified gassafe chap in maintanence at work who is willing to look at it but he knows absolutely nothing about domestic boilers, the boilers he works on supply hot water for a 40 acre industrial site, maybe overkill for my Best 80 :)

Best regards David

Keep an eye on the boiler flow temperature when in central heating mode, to see if it is overheating. Could be sludge or some other obstruction, sticking diverter valve etc.

However, if it is an ignition lockout rather than an overheat, you need to look at ignition and ionisation. An ignition lockout means either it is failing to light, or it is lighting and failing to recognise the fact. Try to see which it is, and proceed accordingly.

An amateur must not do this work for anyone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back