Halstead Buckingham 4

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For this I need help from the big boys here. Reason for posting here is so the customer can read the response, so keep it clean please. They have been advised to power flush etc but am sure the suggestions are without foundation.

Clamped flow and return at the boiler to clock 90 degrees at the flow and 40 at the return. Radiator that is tepid has about 48 at the inlet and Return at 33. Another rad inlet about 45 and 28 return.

Moved the clamp from the return to the flow about 450mm down stream of first clamp. Across 450mm of pipe, temperature drops 10 degrees.

Cylinder is a primatic one, but it is pumped. Also has gate valve ( for isolation/ balancing?), hope no one closes these as then we have a big pressure cooker with no relief valve. Inlet to cylinder was about 48 degrees

Some radiators are stone cold. There are 10 radiators. Rooms have high ceilings (10foot) and rooms are big, not modern Wendy house rooms that are just big enough for a bed.

Pump is a Wilo 50 (5m head pump?). Flow is 28mm, return 22mm

Auto air valve is a Honeywell unit that could be rotated by hand as capnut was slack. Air ingress problem?

Timer wired as gravity system BUT for hot water boiler fires and pump runs.

For CH, one would expect there is a motorised valve some place that opens the zone to rads but that is something that needs to be located and looked at.

Am I correct when I say primary to cylinder should not be pumped. If flow from boiler is at 90 degrees, flow into cylinder should also be a similar temperature ( same for radiators). Am suspecting a motorised valve somewhere but cannot understand reason for low inlet temperature to cylinder

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the bubble (air gap) hasn't depleted within cylinder coil.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Have you checked the bubble (air gap) hasn't depleted within cylinder coil.
No Adam, have not done that. Would the radiators fail to heat because of that?

How do I restore the air bubble? Drain the cylinder and refill?

The air pocket (dome) within the cylinder separates the heating water from the potable water , if this has depleted of all air the system will become oxygenated at a rapid rate.
Drain down both cylinder and heating system and refill.
High boiler flow temperatures will rupture air pocket.....We used to remove boiler stat phial in order to clear air locks within gravity primary flow/return to indirect cylinder back in the day.....do this on a primatic and the bath water will turn a funny colour..:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Surely if the bubble has depleted then mixing of the water will occur........Causing the brown water effect.

PS MI's state double feed indirect only.:D

Last edited:
I'd be changing the pump (circulator) for a 6m head as a matter of course...I would guess with a 5m head the radiators would struggle to get up to temp , possibly the original pump fitted was a 6m?

I'd be changing the pump (circulator) for a 6m head as a matter of course...I would guess with a 5m head the radiators would struggle to get up to temp , possibly the original pump fitted was a 6m?

Pointed this to the owners. Pump is earmarked for replacement

Par for the course, some DaftyDIYer always says; 'change the pump' if the circulation is poor!!......:whistle:

I agree Steely, a 5M head circulation pump does sound a wee bit small for this gaff. But I'd also say the Primatic cylinder bubble is too small also.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Buckingham is a rebadged gloworm (afaik) gloworm hideaway ???

doubt that halstead or Gloworm would recommend or sanction that the boiler was connected to a primatic / single feed cylinder ??

inhibitor cannot be added to the system

seen primatics pumped before (pump on return) but asfai am concerned they should not be ?

needs a "proper" indirect cylinder imho

Returned today to follow Adams advise.
While cylinder draining, isolated pump and removed the head.
Impeller almost totally blocked

Replaced head and ran 6m head motor at setting 1. Radiators started heating, some toasty even farthest away ones. Some larger ones struggling. Boiler also shutting down having reached target boiler temperature. Bumped the selector to speed three.

House now heating like never before

Thank you all you clever clogs(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back