Halstead Combi Finest Platinum - No Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

New here. Also, I know nothing about boilers so please forgive my ignorance!

I've got a 5 (maybe 6?) year old Halstead Combi boiler at my rented flat. The central heating works perfectly but there's no hot water. The boiler does not fire at all when the tap is turned on. In fact, the problem is exactly identical to the one mentioned in this post:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168397

The boiler does not indicate a fault. Central heating works fine but if I turn the tap on, the central heating cuts off (as it should) but the boiler does not fire again to heat the water up. After the residual heat is used up, the water runs cold. I can hear a faint "clicking" noise from inside the boiler when the hot water tap is turned on and off.

If I switch the central heating knob to the "wrench" position (please see the picture below), the boiler is forced on and I get hot water, no problem.

6391410147_bb4553dda1_b_d.jpg

A local guy took a look at it and quoted around £500 for parts. The main PCB had to be replaced last year (that cost around £500 as well) so he has managed to convince my landlord to not repair it this time and to go for a brand new boiler - £2000+ expense, 2 week wait (that's 2 weeks without hot water for me) and 2 days of complete disruption while a new boiler is installed.

I can't help but think, especially after reading the linked forum post above, that the problem is not especially severe and can be fixed fairly easily by a competent (meaning not me!) boiler technician.

Any advice gratefully received. By the way, if you can recommend a good engineer in the Winchester/Eastleigh/Southampton area that can carry out this job competently, kindly do so. I don't want my landlord (who is a very nice person) to have to spend over 2 grand if it is a problem that can be repaired relatively inexpensively.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Try turning the third knob to the spanner position and make a nice cup of coffee ready for the engineer!

If that does not work then call Kevinthegas who posts on here. He is is Soton I think. Ask him to bring an NTC.

If you cannot contact him then call me after 1000 hrs and I will give you his number.

You have not put your contact details in your profile so he cannot contact you! Otherwise I would have called him and asked him to call you!

Tony

Sponsored Links
If that does not work then call Kevinthegas who posts on here. He is is Soton I think. Ask him to bring an NTC.

An NTC?

You have not put your contact details in your profile so he cannot contact you! Otherwise I would have called him and asked him to call you!

I've added my mobile number in :)

I'd be grateful if you could pass it on to Kevin. But obviously, any repair costs will have to be approved by the landlord! Thanks very much.

Cheers

The NTC is a part he might need.

Or search for Kevin, Dereham Gas Services.

If you cannot contact him then call me after 1000 hrs and I will give you his number.

Tony

Obviously that depends on whats wrong!

If it was in London then I would charge £84 plus £18 for what I expect may be wrong.

Kevin is reasonably priced and might be even cheaper!

Tony

most likely to be a couple of items that together create this problem will find out the price of both and come back to you (have your mobile number)

kev

£88 parts cost, £57 labour charge, £20 fuel charge (if outside Soton) inc vat is the likely cost, obviously I am 2nd guessing what is at fault as i have not seen the boiler but it is the most common fault on these boilers with the symptoms described

kev

thanks Tony we don't use the gas bit its just Dereham Services these days as gas is now only part of what we do (even doing plumbing again!!) :LOL:

£88 parts cost, £57 labour charge, £20 fuel charge (if outside Soton) inc vat is the likely cost, obviously I am 2nd guessing what is at fault as i have not seen the boiler but it is the most common fault on these boilers with the symptoms described

Cheers Kev. Let me discuss with the landlord. Will confirm shortly. What's your availability like?

Thanks

Try turning the third knob to the spanner position and make a nice cup of coffee ready for the engineer!

Just re-read your note Tony. Yes, when I turn it to the "spanner" position, hot water works just fine (I mentioned this in my original post as well).

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back