Hammering

Remove the sensor head, turn it to full then undo the silver ring and the sensor will pull off, if that stops the banging that valve is on the wrong way

Sponsored Links
Hi, the valve is the way it's always been. I was here when the cowboy was here and he didn't do anything with the valve.

Given the absence of arrows I would assume that's an old uni-directional valve and the flow may be going the wrong way through it...when the valve seat is near the closed position it slams shut causing the noise.
Put the heating on, the pipe entering the valve should become hot before the other radiator pipe.
I've used sealant on many occasions and with older boilers it has never been a problem. Given the choice of digging up concrete floors and tearing apart the house 90% of customers except the risk and go for sealant and it often does the trick.

Given the absence of arrows I would assume that's an old uni-directional valve and the flow may be going the wrong way through it...when the valve seat is near the closed position it slams shut causing the noise.
Put the heating on, the pipe entering the valve should become hot before the other radiator pipe.
I've used sealant on many occasions and with older boilers it has never been a problem. Given the choice of digging up concrete floors and tearing apart the house 90% of customers except the risk and go for sealant and it often does the trick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this. Think I might just get a heating engineer from a proper company to come and check it out. That's not aimed at you by the way, im referring to the cowboy who came and put the sealer in. Clearly, it's his "repair" which has caused the problem. Thanks for your advice though

Hi, the valve is the way it's always been. I was here when the cowboy was here and he didn't do anything with the valve.
It will only kake a few seconds no tools needed, or as the hammering is happening open the valve up full to see if it stops

It will only kake a few seconds no tools needed, or as the hammering is happening open the valve up full to see if it stops
Hi, the banging starts when the valve is open, turning the valve to the off position stops it.

As someone else said which side of the rad pipes heats up firts, That side or the other side ?

Surely you choose the cheaper option of going for sealer rather than locating the leak?

I've used leak sealer many times when it's impractical to dig up concrete floors etc. I wouldn't recommend it with new boilers (or those on warranty) but it rarely causes problems.
I can't really see how the leak sealer and a knocking rad valve are related unless the spindle is leaking perhaps.
Put the heating on and tell us what pipe warms first.
You're not really in any position to ascertain whether the next heating eng. is any better than the last so you may as well do a little investigating.

I've used leak sealer many times when it's impractical to dig up concrete floors etc. I wouldn't recommend it with new boilers (or those on warranty) but it rarely causes problems.
I can't really see how the leak sealer and a knocking rad valve are related unless the spindle is leaking perhaps.
You're not really in any position to ascertain whether the next heating eng. is any better than the last so you may as well do a little investigating.
I know. The fella who came was a one man band from trust a trader. I should have heard the alarm bells when he said he could come within the hour. Just thought if i called a heating "company" at least i would feel comfortable calling them back if there were any subsequent problems. Will try the see which pipe heats up later when I get home. Thanks

Just because he came 'within the hour' does not mean anything. He could of being passing by or on his way to or from another job.

Do you know where the leak is?

Andy

Just because he came 'within the hour' does not mean anything. He could of being passing by or on his way to or from anotherr job.

Do you know where the leak is?

Andy
Hi Andy, no idea where the leak was/is. He didn't really spend any time looking for it . I'm thinking of getting a track and trace company or a heating engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back