Hammerite help..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. i've had a bad experience with brush on silver metallic hemmerite. no one told me this stuff can run for England. Horizontal surfaces were fine, anything else and it just would not stop running as soon as i got any on. It was a small area (an electrics box) so should have been easy but even with me keep going back and catching the runs as i went it seemed unavoidable. So i've left it to dry now and sure enough there are lots of clear runs.. question is, will i be able to sand these area's back, retouch and still get a good finish? How long would i need to leave it first? Do you need special powers to apply this stuff?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
i hammerited my gate on saturday, and it said further coats have to be applied within 20mins to 3hours or after 6 weeks (so i will check if any rust is coming thru and touch up in 6 weeks), your hammorite may be different (as mine was smooth finnish, none metalic) so i sugest you check what the tin says!

i made the mistake years back of recoating gloss not according to the instructions and it bubbled so you have been warned!

Hi m8 the guidlines are the same for my tins although i'm using a hammered finish. I've nailed it now at second go.. sanded back, reundercoated and had another pop. Major factor for me was ignoring to tins advice to APPLY THICKLY. Complete abortion. Brushed it out as thin as i could now and pretty much avoided runs, then as u say went back after and touched up as needed. Jobs a goodun :)

are you shure its properly mixed!!!!!!!

my recolection is of "hammerd finnish" being quite gloopy
but i could be wrong of course :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi mate yes i probably mixed it more than i needed to if anything. A good mix to begin with, then i left a stick in and constantly gave it a mix as i went. It as quite gloopy but runs extremely easily.. i had to spread it out to virtually nothing to stop it sagging. Its the different elements in the paint it seems... The second coating seems to stick better than the first. :)

kaseryn
I think I answered this on one of your other same post , lol

use a foam pad , load it then no more than three wipes /strokes , no brush strokes stickyness .. :)

Yes ..lol .... I was told this from a decorator mate when I was going to repaint some metal work in the garden ,(it was a metal fancy design above the garage doors )
I used the 1" paint pads ... an it was sound as a pound ;) the foam pad was wrecked but it worked better than a tacky brush ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back