Hanging a boiler safely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have a new rear flue boiler fitted by a Gas safe installer. I looked at the install instructions out of curiosity and I now have a few concerns.
The hanging bracket will need to secure to a breeze block wall which has been very badly repaired in the past., it had a big square flue originally. I'm thinking of asking the installer to remove my old boiler and come back a few days later to fit the new one after I get the wall repaired by a brickie, do you think this is a workable idea?

Sponsored Links
No reason why not, as long as they are able to work that into the schedule. They should be calling it out if the wall at the location for the boiler isn't suitable to hold it properly anyway. I would have a discussion and point it out.

Am not a Gas Safe bod at all but have you considered fixing a large piece of 25mm ply to the iffy wall with lots of fixings to make up for the iffiness, leaving a space in the middle for the boiler to be mounted with wood screws? Could be a lot cheaper than getting a brickie in, if indeed you can find one. However I have no idea whether boilers are not supposed to be mounted to combustible surfaces.

Am not a Gas Safe bod at all but have you considered fixing a large piece of 25mm ply to the iffy wall with lots of fixings to make up for the iffiness, leaving a space in the middle for the boiler to be mounted with wood screws? Could be a lot cheaper than getting a brickie in, if indeed you can find one. However I have no idea whether boilers are not supposed to be mounted to combustible surfaces.
Have seen plenty of boilers hung on plywood, 25mm might be a bit heavy, maybe 18mm.

Sponsored Links
As others have said , use ply with good fixings and no nails, will be fine, lots cheaper than getting a brickie in, just use fixings on the good points and no nails all over the back of the board, the stress on a boiler fixing is all downwards, never forwards

Thanks everyone, problem solved my installer is happy to remove on a Tuesday and put the new one up on a Friday, the brickie is going to charge £50, I'm happy with that. lucky I have an electric shower.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks everyone, problem solved my installer is happy to remove on a Tuesday and put the new one up on a Friday, the brickie is going to charge £50, I'm happy with that. lucky I have an electric shower.
£50 and a shower is a bargain for a bricky.
The smelly ones are always cheaper

f9682e792e3edc3e0e99052bff9a6dcb.jpg

That one ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back