Hanging Things on the Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, here's an interesting one....

Does anyone know if there's a (semi) scientific way of working out fixings vs weight of items that are suspended on walls.

I would guess that this depends on the wall, the weight of the item and the surface area that it can be secured over.

Reason i'm asking is i've got a 45kg (approx) plasma screen to fix to a block wall (43" diagonal size). The manufacturers instructions specified at least 4 "screws", so i've put in 7 as i don't want to drop it ! It's pretty well secured so i think i'm safe, but was interested to see if there was a "rule of thumb" etc. for these type of things ?

I'm sure one of you boffins can give me the answer ;)

Cheers
Soss.

Sponsored Links
it would also depend upon the breaking strain of its fixing material I.e piece of string tied at both ends

Usually you can look on the packaging of certain fixings and it will give a load rating relative to the wall construction being fixed into but that usually relates to a cavity wall or lightweight block construction. In general with either a concrete block, or brick wall then any suitably sized screw should be ok. If you want to be extra cautious you could use a Rawlbolt type fixing which, if fixed into sound brick or block, will not budge.As you tighten them they expand inside the wall and give a very strong grip. I would recommend using a Rawlbolt fixing of 60-75 mm with a diameter of 5mm + depending on the size of the holes in your fixing brackets.Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back