Hanging towel radiator on partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at replacing a small radiator in my bathroom with a chrome towel radiatior. The current radiator is mounted on standard hanging brackets. The wall is a partition wall between a bedroom and the bathroom. The new radiator weight 6kg and the instructions say that when installing on a plasterboard wall it MUST be installed with battens. It has 3 fixing points, two at the top and one at the bottom middle. The bathroom side of the wall is tiled with fairly sturdy tiles so I was considering whether or not these with the plasterboard fixings which expand on the cavity side would be strong enough to hold the new rad. If not, then what's the best way of adding support at the back without destroying the wall? I wondered if access to the partition cavity might be possible from the loft so I could drop a couple of battens down, or there is a door frame directly next to the point in the wall so wondered if removing part of that might be an idea. Also after reading the archives here I saw a sugestion of drilling a hole and squeezing plasterboard adhesive through to form a more solid mounting point, would this work?

What would you do?

Thanks and Merry Christmas :)

Sponsored Links
Well you understand the difficulties!

If the bathroom wall is tiled then most people would say that the large spring toggles will probably give an adequate fixing for an owner occupied installation.

This is always going to be a problem fixing to an insecure surface!

Commercially I always take the view that any rad should take the weight of an average adult! Thats 85 Kg !

Tony

If the instructions say it MUST be supported by battens, my guess would be that you must use battens.
Bit like a car really, if it says only unleaded, I would not recommend trying diesel.

as usual..over the top. plaster board fixing will do just fine...trust me ..i'm a doctor !! happy xmas

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'm hoping that the existing brackets are attached to battens and that it might just be possible to attach the new fixings to those if they are in the correct place for them. Failing that I'll take the risk and use sprung fixings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back