Hanging Vymura wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know many people regard vinyl wallpapers as Satan incarnate, but here goes anyway...

[in extra-cautious tone]

I want to hang Vymura vinyl wallpaper on a smooth bare plaster wall. I'm unsure about two things:

1) Is there any benefit to lining the wall beforehand? The plaster surface is very smooth already, but I will size it.

2) Do I paste the paper or the wall?

[ducks hurriedly behind sandbags]

Sponsored Links
I would give the wall a good wash down first to remove any slurry thats left behind...it can really be a problem.

If the wall is really smooth i'd sand it to...just to provide a key...some plasterers 'polish' the wall...making hanging wallpaper on it a night mare....its like papering on glass......and it really affects the adhesion.

I would line the wall first.....it evens out the porosity of the wall and is the perfect surface to paper over.

Plaster could be too porous......or too impervios ...either way you will have grief.

Also it can be unpredictable....causing joints to shrinks once dry, leaving a dark pink line......

So I would......

Wash down...

Sand

Size using pva or thinned out paste...

Line...800 grade should be fine on new plaster...use starch paste...(lap) it has very good adhesion.

Paint over the joints of the lining with knotting for good measure if you like...

Paper.

But before you paper.....check to see the lining is well stuck...pick at a few corners and see if it peels off easily.....if it does.......rip it all off...you may as well, becuase the paper wont last anyway.

You paste the paper I beleive with ordinary Vymura....(its a trade name btw so the paper varies)

If its nonamura (which i doubt as they havnt made the evil rubbish for a good while) then paste the wall..

Read the hanging instructions....

Thanks for that advice, Zampa. The wall had previously been papered, but lining seems like a good move regardless. Many thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back