Hard drive disposal

So my plan to buy another cheap PC and fit the hard drive into it might be a feasible option
As it's an old XP machine, is the drive SATA or IDE - (connected with a small cable or a wide ribbon cable)?
And do you currently have a laptop? then you could use an external hard drive enclosure.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Just noticed that machine I linked to has an SSD so won't be able to fit my hard drive into it so I'll have to look for one with HDD instead

Just noticed that machine I linked to has an SSD so won't be able to fit my hard drive into it so I'll have to look for one with HDD instead
SSD or HDD won't matter, what will matter is if you have IDE, or SATA! :)

Sponsored Links
SSD or HDD won't matter, what will matter is if you have IDE, or SATA! :)
There are 2 slim flat plugs going into the hard drive but no ribbon cable. does the mean I need to get one with the same connections?

Last edited:
There are 2 slim flat plugs going into the hard drive but no SATA cable.
It sounds like they look like...
1712309938258.png
If so, it's SATA and you're fine.

Yes that is how mine is. So a PC with SSD will have the same connections and can be swopped with my hdd, is that correct.
Thanks for your efforts

i always remove the harddrives from devices and then use a sledge hammer and break them up , making sure the disc are broken as well
not yet dumped any phones or other devices that have data on

NOT sure of the risk, just something i have always done , as then 0% risk
The people at some dumps often recover items and put them in a shed to sell , and then maybe whoever buys may fix - just depends on the fault and if they can be bothered - loads of people tinker around withj electronics

A friend of mine used to work for the Met as a data forensics officer. When he left the plod he started working for a Danish company. On day one, he was shown a shattered HDD platter that they were recovering data from.

He once told me that a HDD that had been left in a bucket of water could only be partially read by the likes of Mossad or the US military.

If you use a caddy, your Mac will be able to access the files. Offhand, I don't know what free Mac software exists but natively, the Mac OS should be able to read the drive.

If you use a caddy, your Mac will be able to access the files. Offhand, I don't know what free Mac software exists but natively, the Mac OS should be able to read the drive.
Thanks I'll look and see what apps are available so I could have an alternative

A Mac will be able to 'Read' data from the drive - just won't be able to 'Write' to it.

Buy a Caddy/HDD Dock. The connection should (will) be USB. You may need to buy a USB-C to USB-B adaptor to connect the devices together.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As it's an old XP machine, is the drive SATA or IDE - (connected with a small cable or a wide ribbon cable)?
And do you currently have a laptop? then you could use an external hard drive enclosure.
AS we agreed in a later post, the drive is SATA. I had it tested locally and the guy showed me that the XP operating system a lots of files were on the old HDD. So I have bought a caddy and turned it into an external hard drive but when I connect it to my MacBook Pro it does not see it. I read on the internet that it is probably because it is not formatted to be compatible with the MacBook (ex-fat, fat32, rtfs or something like that). Is it possible to reformat it without destroying/corrupting all the files etc. that are on it. Thanks. By the way I have another external hard drive that is more recent and works perfectly when plugged into the MacBook

I take mine apart harvesting all kind of useful screws and then end up with the actual silver disk which is mirror like and looks good dangling in a tree catching the light or fixed to your fence or you can stand on it and spin on some slabs or whack with a hammer.

A Mac will be able to 'Read' data from the drive - just won't be able to 'Write' to it.

Buy a Caddy/HDD Dock. The connection should (will) be USB. You may need to buy a USB-C to USB-B adaptor to connect the devices together.
So I have bought a caddy and turned it into an external hard drive but when I connect it to my MacBook Pro it does not see it. I read on the internet that it is probably because it is not formatted to be compatible with the MacBook (ex-fat, fat32, rtfs or something like that). Is it possible to reformat it without destroying/corrupting all the files etc. that are on it. Thanks. By the way I have another external hard drive that is more recent and works perfectly when plugged into the MacBook

Reformating would damage any data present. Do not do that if you want to try to recover anything.

Sponsored Links
Back