Hard sell tactics ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are hoping to have a loft conversion done and have had a couple of quotes from builders and loft conversion companies that i phoned. I also registered with a 'find a builder site' where you put in details of the job then builders contact you if they are interested.
We had a call and subsequent visit from a company and the bloke phoned today to say he had done his plans etc and could he visit again. I told him an afternoon next week would be ok and he then asked if the other half would be there. Told him she would be at work and he politely said she ought to be there as big decision etc. Told him we would not make a decision then as we were waiting for other quotes to arrive so he asked me to call him when all my quotes are in so he can visit.
This smacks of hard tactics sell to me, or am i being too cautious

Cheers Paul

Sponsored Links
Tell him to send his quote by post.

The other quotes should have no bearing on his and are none of his business.

I have no idea who will be at home when i call around to quote my clients and certainly do not request that a spouse or partner be there!

Ideally both people (if a couple) should be there as each may have expectations and ideas or concerns, which will come out during the visit.

The guy wants the stairs in the small bedroom and an open plan room, and the lady wants an open staircase, en-suite and partitions. But to each other, they say they just want a loft converted

I've been on lots of visits for extensions where one half of the couple was not there, and then the person tells you what 'they' want, and then a week or so later, they phone up to change something "after thinking about it" (ie one don't like the other ones' ideas) or I get asked to go back to explain the same thing again to the other half

he wants you to have the other quotes in so he can try and undercut them!!

very unprofesional way of conducting business imo.

Sponsored Links
We are hoping to have a loft conversion done and have had a couple of quotes from builders and loft conversion companies that i phoned. I also registered with a 'find a builder site' where you put in details of the job then builders contact you if they are interested.
We had a call and subsequent visit from a company and the bloke phoned today to say he had done his plans etc and could he visit again. I told him an afternoon next week would be ok and he then asked if the other half would be there. Told him she would be at work and he politely said she ought to be there as big decision etc. Told him we would not make a decision then as we were waiting for other quotes to arrive so he asked me to call him when all my quotes are in so he can visit.

Cheers Paul

As mentioned both do need to be there to thrash out exactly what you want, It is a hard sell but you do not have to buy or sign anything, by him wanting you to contact him for an appointment after you have your other quotes tells you immediately that he wants to undercut them to get the job. You need to get some referrals of his companies work and go around and speak with his customers to find out how satisfied they are, Hope they aren't his relations or mates though.

Cheers Paul

This is classic hard sale tactics. They want both decision makers there so that you have one less 'get out' when they pressurise you into a sale. I don't buy the idea that they want you both there to discuss the plans at all. They want you both there to batter you into committing. All the usual suspects use this technique. Companies like Kirby cleaners and some of the less reputable double glazing co's etc will not visit without all decision makers being present.

As said earlier ask him to post the quote to you. If he refuses or tries to talk you around tell him you aren't happy with his practises and drop him.

I thought as much, we both dont need to be there because weve already told him what we want so he could do his drawings in the first place, and i wouldnt tell him what the other quotes are, if he says he want 25k to do the job abd i show him a quote for 20k and he then says he will do it for 19k then to me that says he was prepared to rip me off for 6k to start with. Dont think i will be calling him back.

Thanks for your views

Paul

I agree with what has been said regards decision making as long as it is a couple that is involved. But, it is not my business to request or even assume that the person i am taking to, ether has a partner/spouse or if they want them to be there in any case.

IMO

He'd just like to know who has quoted what before he potentially wastes his time calling round to explain his pricing/job etc. He may have no intention of undercutting his price. He may be completely above board and honest. I may be the devils advocate.

IMO

He'd just like to know who has quoted what before he potentially wastes his time calling round to explain his pricing/job etc. He may have no intention of undercutting his price. He may be completely above board and honest. I may be the devils advocate.

True but he wont tell me how much over the phone, i could have saved him a trip if he would.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back