Hard wired smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have completed some work on an extension above a garage. The existing stairway and reception are undisturbed by this work. The architect did not specify any smoke alarms on his drawings. I added a hard wired smoke alarm in the extension on its own Rcbo from cu in garage. The building inspector has been out and remarked that a further 2 smoke alarms should be fitted and INTERCONNECTED !?!? One in ground floor reception connected to mine on first floor then a further smoke on an existing staircase to existing loft conversion. which would mean disruption to customers stairs and reception.
Is the building inspectors request reasonable? Or is he just talking regs by numbers?
I am quite prepared to do extra work and get paid for it but customer is p*** off and has asked me if the extra is really necessary. which I am not sure is the case.
I have already suggested RF units but at £70 a pop Customer is not keen on.

Sponsored Links
In my experience, when carrying out any extensions I've always been requested to fit inteconnected smoke alarms into the existing house aswell as the new extension.
Think its common practice TBH, atleast up here in Scotland.
You could go back to the architect and say what he says but you may need to bite the bullet unfortunately.

I have completed some work on an extension above a garage. The existing stairway and reception are undisturbed by this work. The architect did not specify any smoke alarms on his drawings.
Then IMO he was negligent in his design. How come LABC didn't pick it up at plans submission stage? Are we looking here at an example of why it is madness to go down the Building Notice route?

I added a hard wired smoke alarm in the extension on its own Rcbo from cu in garage.
Ah.

So you recognised a need for smoke alarms but did not bother to follow the guidance in Approved Document B Vol.1.

The building inspector has been out and remarked that a further 2 smoke alarms should be fitted and INTERCONNECTED !?!? One in ground floor reception connected to mine on first floor then a further smoke on an existing staircase to existing loft conversion. which would mean disruption to customers stairs and reception.
Is the building inspectors request reasonable? Or is he just talking regs by numbers?
He's talking "guidance in Approved Document B Vol. 1 on how to comply with Building Regulation B1." You can argue that Approved Documents are only guidance, and that you are free to comply in alternative ways etc, and that all the law actually requires is "appropriate provisions for the early warning of fire", but in practice arguing things like that with BCOs is likely to be unproductive.

Frankly both you and the architect should have known what was required - that's why the customer employed professionals to do the design and construction of his conversion.

Fit the additional alarms with radio link bases - at least that will save a chunk of wiring for the interconnect.

PJ

Sponsored Links
I have completed some work on an extension above a garage. The existing stairway and reception are undisturbed by this work. The architect did not specify any smoke alarms on his drawings.
Then IMO he was negligent in his design. How come LABC didn't pick it up at plans submission stage? Are we looking here at an example of why it is madness to go down the Building Notice route?

I added a hard wired smoke alarm in the extension on its own Rcbo from cu in garage.
Ah.

So you recognised a need for smoke alarms but did not bother to follow the guidance in Approved Document B Vol.1.

The building inspector has been out and remarked that a further 2 smoke alarms should be fitted and INTERCONNECTED !?!? One in ground floor reception connected to mine on first floor then a further smoke on an existing staircase to existing loft conversion. which would mean disruption to customers stairs and reception.
He's talking "guidance in Approved Document B Vol. 1 on how to comply with Building Regulation B1." You can argue that Approved Documents are only guidance, and that you are free to comply in alternative ways etc, and that all the law actually requires is "appropriate provisions for the early warning of fire", but in practice arguing things like that with BCOs is likely to be unproductive.

Frankly both you and the architect should have known what was required - that's why the customer employed professionals to do the design and construction of his conversion.

I am well aware of the benefits for interconnected smoke alarms. however i am not so sure about is if the BCO can insist on the introduction of additional alarms at the extra cost and disruption to parts of the dwelling that are not being worked on.
All this means for me is extra work at expense of customer if this is the case then i am amazed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back