Hardboard/Chipboard/Hardboard sandwich- which glue to use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I'm building a hi-fi stand that will need Contiboard thicker than the 15mm that B&Q does, so I've decided to go for the sandwich. So, which glue doe i use to bond them, plus any tips, tricks etc would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hello all.

I'm building a hi-fi stand that will need Contiboard thicker than the 15mm that B&Q does, so I've decided to go for the sandwich. So, which glue doe i use to bond them, plus any tips, tricks etc would be most welcome.
Conibpoard is cheap (quality, NOT price), nasty, THIN Weetabix-board with low grade, chip-prone melamine surfaces. IF you are going to use MFC (melamine faced chpboard) then find a decent supplier who does a good quality MFC board from a manufacturer such as Egger, Kronospan, Caberdecor, Finsa, etc. These firms do boards in a variety of thicknesses, although the main stock ones are 8mm, 12mm, 15mm and 18mm from my suppliers. Better still try finding someone who can supply MF-MDF (melamine-faced MDF) which is both denser and heavier - it has the advantage that it cuts more cleanly than MFC which is one of the reasons why we use som much of it in shop and bar fitting.

As to making-up thick sandwiches I'd do them using a good quality contact adhesive (e.g. Evo 528) making sute that you use enough glue and that there are no trapped inclusions (grit, etc) on the dried surfaces before bonding. If you haven't laminated before (sounds like it) make your pieces oversize and trim down to the required size after the glue is set.

BTW decent MFC from a decent supplier actually works out much cheaper round here than Contiboard from B&Q. Trade quality MFC also comes in a far wider range of colours and finishes and proper suppliers can always source matching edging for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back