Hardwood for Garden Bench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old garden bench. I think it's made from mahogany. At any rate, some kind of dark hardwood. Two of the slats (is that the right word) have rotted and I'd like to replace them.

Approx 20mm x 70mm cross section and ~1.4m long.

Should I hunt down mahogany with that cross section, or is there a cheaper/better alternative? It's a tatty old thing so if there's a bit of a colour mismatch or whatever, it doesn't matter too much.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If you have some wood stain, you'll probably get close enough with standard softwood as long as you give it plenty of coats.

Reactions: SFK
Softwood, horizontal on a bench will be prone to bowing, splitting or even cracking on a knot. And I wouldn't give it many summers.

There are sellers on ebay that sell pre formed bench slats of different sizes and species.

Sponsored Links
1. Teak
2. Iroko
3. Oak

In all probability your "mahogany" is either teak or iroko because mahogany is not really durable in exterior positions whereas teak was used to build tea clippers and us still used for dhows

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back